Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Drive Axle don't fit in my replacement Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 11:48 AM
HCF Member
Default Drive Axle don't fit in my replacement Tranny

I got a 91 civic ex 4dr, and just bought a tranny and find out that my current drive axle don’t fit in the new tranny.. my current axle to a little too small to fit into the new tranny, it need a bigger coupler in the tranny ends. So what year and type is this tranny come from, anyone knows ??

So I wonder if anyone would know if what transmission did I just bought.. when I look at both tranny, my old one have a center stem in the center of the shaft fitting, but with the new tranny I bought, there’s NO center stem and can see direct across. So is it a dx/lx etc.. I thought it would be all the same..

Thanks in advance for your reponse… Doopy128@hotmail.com

Old 02-01-2007, 01:48 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Drive Axle don't fit in my replacement Tranny

sounds like you have yoruself a dohc zc transmission. where are you located? if yoru close id be willing to swap you out for a 91 crx si transmission.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:07 PM
HCF Member

So what make, model did this transmission come from ? need to know so i can buy the axle to fit it in and wondering if the outer spline will fit on my rotor or do i need to change that too.. if do how the brakes differ if any.. btw, am in SF, CA

Old 02-01-2007, 07:57 PM
HCF Member

I justed check my old transmission.. it has a stamp on the casing PL3 9000 11/22 (small stamp above), my new replacement also said PL3 9000 7/14(small stamp above), so basically it should be the same? but obvious not.. cuz my axle shaft don't fit in the new tranny.. the shaft that attach to the transmission endis a little smaller.. so i needa coupling that will fits into it.. anyone have any idea?

Old 02-01-2007, 09:33 PM

pics can help us understand more

Old 02-02-2007, 12:15 AM
HCF Member

im willing to bet money its an lsd dohc zc transmission. for acouple of reasons

you can see right through the diff
your current axles are to small for the transmission.

if you want to use this transmission get yourself axles for a 90-91 non abs integra ls. then your going to have to source a dohc zc halfshaft(im not sure if the 88-89 tegs are the same).

good news is if im correct on the transmission you have

you have an lsd(optional item and very rare)
you will be able to use equal length axles(little to no torque steer)
your d16a6 engine will accept the halfshaft with no modifications.

i would love to get that transmission off yoru hands but im on the east coast.............

Old 02-02-2007, 12:27 AM
HCF Member

I've already install the replacement, only after I tried to install the axle that's when i found out it was kinda loose, so i figure my si axle is not gona fit, i've call the guy that sold me the tranny and he said it was taken out from a 90 si, and no longer have the car.. damn.. ! but said he might have the coupling that fits onto the tranny and just for me to swap the coupling on with my current axle.. now waiting for the coupling

Old 02-02-2007, 02:19 PM
HCF Member

Update..!!

I got the coupling of the inner shaft.. Itook my orginal inner coupling off from my axle and use the one he gave me and reseal the cv boot and now work perfect.. it might be a lsd like you said.. cuz when i turn da wheel, both turn same direction. I'm still boggling of which car this axle come from.. oh.. tranny also gota bar code sticker with the # SSO 1008304, have no clue what that mean tho.. but ain't complaining now.. cuz it ran perfect, just a little high on the rpm than my original si tranny.. 80mph @ 4300rpm, but hell got it for $100 and said it has just been rebuilt.. looks that way too.. it hella clean with no grease, and I tho he just clean da hell out of it.. lol. I'll take your advice and try to fit a integ axle on it see if it fits.. DROOPY128

Old 02-07-2007, 10:18 PM
HCF Member

good to hear............and that high rpm at 80mph sounds like you got your hands on a nice tranny