Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

fixed tranny leak now shift hesitates...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 07:13 AM
Default fixed tranny leak now shift hesitates...

Ok i recently got a 92 lx for a cheap price from a friend. due to the fact that it sat for a year with a tranny leak. the leak was caused by a rigged tranny coolant line. i fixed it and replaced the other as well. i changed the fluid and it was a nasty dark color. but the tranny shifts wierd. it waits till higher rpms than it should and sometimes it kicks into nuetral for a second. i usually have to manually shift my automatic. its like it dont want to downshift on its own till it absolutely has to not just when it needs to.

i am having other problems with the car as of now like she hesitates and bogs badly and low rpms are damn near dead. but i figured id post about the tranny here.

what do you think the shifting problem is? and do you think the fact it sat with a leak would cause any harm? i mean it only leaked when it was running but still.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Default RE: fixed tranny leak now shift hesitates...

how much of the fluid did you change, did u just take the pan off and let it drain or did u take it and have it flushed, either way u were better of not changing it because the trans was used to running the thick dirty fluid and now that you mixed in some fresh clean fluid,thus thinning the mixture out, it is leaking through the internal seals causing the trans to shift late because it isnt building up the pressure at the proper shift times, it takes more rpms to get the pressure. basically you have a slipping trans, transaxle work is expensive, go to junkyards and check the fluid color in the donor car but it is till hit or miss depending on if the previous owner of that car did the same thing you did. last thing you want to do is put that seal reconditonary in there because it will work wonders on the seals for about 2 months it will expand them and make them as tight as......well you know but after that the seals deteriorate so basicaly the trans is only gonna get worse

Old 07-09-2007, 03:15 PM

it wasnt use to running on that fluid that fluid was only like that because it had a leak and sat for over a year. the fluid was changed before it was parked. it didnt run but a few minutes with that fluid that way before it was changed. and i just took the drain bolt out and drained it i didnt flush it. but it wasnt used to running on anything it was used to not being touched at all. i got it and fixed the leak started it to make sure it was fixed then i changed the fluid. then it got ran.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:25 PM

any ideas?

Old 07-18-2007, 06:43 PM

Like jeff said, somone burnt the fluid earlier. Was there any shavings in the fluid. And double check the level. If not just right pressure levels will be off.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:30 PM

when the woman bought the car she drove it for a month and it developed a bad tranny leak they changed the fluid and drove it a block and it all came out again so they tried it one more time to no avail. so it was parked with a little still in it. when i got it i fixed the leak and changed the fluid. the other day i took about half out and replaced a quart... (i was a tad over) because i added some seafoam when i changed it.... but when i took some out it was dark as hell. more brown than anything. but smelled normal. i replaced a quart and its still red the day after so i dont know.