Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

grinding sometimes? yea this doesnt sound good!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Default grinding sometimes? yea this doesnt sound good!!

oh so im driving down the road ive been having problems with the engine and turbo kit that the previous owner bolted on well i figured that out and the parts are on the way. however i still have to deal with the problem of it jumping back and forth quite alot when i let out on the clutch. and yes i do know how to shift. anyways i was going downtown and comin out of first gear i hear this whine. and as i excellerate it goes along with the engine pitch. and this sound is not very faint. i **** into second and it went away. later im driving and it does it again. i was hoping it was snow on my the fender rubbing the wheel but no luck i to it a car wash and melted everything off. same thing also later i was cruisin along in 3rd and i let off the throttle and it jumps out of gear, not like a big jump but enough to take it out of gear (syncronizer possible?) i dont know first time i have heard this since i have owned it which isnt that long but just trying to work out all the stinkin bugs in this thing!!!! this may cost quite a bit to huh....[sm=smiley35.gif]
thanks any guess of what it could be other than the trans would also help oh and it doesnt just do it in first either

Old 01-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Default RE: grinding sometimes? yea this doesnt sound good!!

Yeah, it sounds like the synchros are shot to hell. Could be a result of someone trying to powershift it a bunch, or of not changing the tranny fluid often enough... it could have come from a number of things.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:39 PM

oh also i got a nice little leak thats occuring if things couldnt get any better! i was wondering is this the main seal leak its coming from the other side of the flywheel but is covering the inside of the bell housing.(possible being slung by the fly wheel? man this sucks any way you put it.
[:@]

Old 01-18-2005, 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: red_sleeper
i **** into second and it went away.
hahahhahahahahahhhahahahahhahaahhaha[sm=roll.gif]

Old 01-18-2005, 07:46 PM

haha well guess i should have casught that one owell lol drrr... anyone know where i can get a resaonable rebuild kit for a decent price that will hold my engine? the trans is a SI and i think it might be letting go on me.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:51 PM

also what other years of trannys will fit the 99 civic ex?

Old 01-18-2005, 11:45 PM
HCF Member

any tranny from a sohc 92-00 should be fine, but one from a vtec car will have better ratios. it also sounds like whoever last replaced the clutch may have neglected to resurface the flywheel, that causes the shudder when engaging the clutch.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:45 AM

found this site they all say its the bearings?

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1111910

Old 01-19-2005, 03:03 PM

Very unlikely... that wouldn't explain it coming out of gear. They could be shot too, but I doubt if that would explain your problems.

Old 01-19-2005, 05:41 PM

well i think its kickin out of gear because the syncronziers are get to be shot because of the loss of fluid. and i think its whining becasue of the bearings. thats just what i think anyone know for sure?

Quick Reply: grinding sometimes? yea this doesnt sound good!!