Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

installing clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: installing clutch?

well from what ive read in the haynes manual it says to suport the botom of the motor with a transmition jack OR a simple jack with a piece of wood on it to equal out the load so it doesnt bust your oil pan!!!!!

looks preaty straight forwards!
ill be pulling my whole engine tranny out this weekend. tho ill be pulling it together.

best thing you can do for yourself is go to your local autoparts store and buy a book on your car and read thru it. and i mean preaty much the whole book!!

i dont read book books... BUT these are the ONLY BOOKS I READ when i buy a new car!!! LOL
you learn so much by reading thru it! and if something just HAPPENS like it always does... youll already know the basics that hopefully if you have to you can fix the car where its at at least enough to get it home if posible!

Old 09-12-2007, 04:33 PM
HCF Member

awesome... sounds like it's more than doable. thanks for the response guys!

Old 09-12-2007, 04:34 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: jbum

Cool, I've replaced axles before and that wasn't too bad. So I assume there is no need to use a cherry picker to support the engine while you take the tranny and mount off. That was my biggest concern. The other was having someone to help me hold tranny while taking the bolts off. I wouldn't want it to drop.
If you've removed axles before I'm pretty sure you're up to the task... As for the engine falling off, addiction2bass is right just put a stand under it.. Anyway that's what I did and it's been like that for a week lol...

Old 09-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya JUST BE SURE TO USE A BOARD ONTOP OF THE JACK!!!!!!!!!
otherwise you risk puting stress on a confined space and busting a HUGE HOLE in the pan. try to cut the board to fit the oil pan... if ya have to make a cutout around the oil drain bolt then do so.
o ya also remove the lower Lbow off the exaust. so you can put the jack in the perfect spot. and just make it touch... ya dont wanna use the jack to put hard pressure on the motor otherwise ya could mess up the engine mounts aswell as punch a hole in the oil pan.

id say its very doable with common tools and time!