Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Little ebay short shifter problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:52 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Little ebay short shifter problem

New bushings are like 12 dollars, it just doens't make sense NOT to replace them if you put in a short shifter...

As for the noise flip.. Get under there and see what is hitting the exhuast. I've seen some guys have to grind down the counter weight on the bottom of the shifter or linkage in order to avoid bouncing it off the exhaust

Old 05-31-2007, 10:01 AM
HCF Member

^ yea Tony i'll havta do that, it seems like its doing it more and more often now in 3rd and 4th (now that i've driven it a few days)

and sh*t you guys i dont even wanna ask......what bushings? I didnt really see any under there, all i see is thebearings inside the short shifter, the boots.....then just the linkage. Which bushings? Thanks you guys, noob to transmission anything basically.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:09 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

There is a circular bushing where the linkage meets the tranny, and an oblong goofy *** one below the shifter.

CLICK HERE then select "Shifter BUshings" Once you see the odd looking your, you should know where it goes. The bracket it goes under is shaped just like the bushing, and is held on by two bolts.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:07 AM
HCF Member

hmmm...my brother had the same problem and knows some guys that even ran across it too. Eks are known for it and thats what it looks like you have. what they did was got a solid chunk of what a bushing on a car is made of (sorry, dont know what its exactly called), and just cut out a piece and placed it in between the shifter and the piping. oh....also ziptie it in place...

Old 06-10-2007, 09:41 PM
HCF Member

wow forgot to check this to see your response Tony, i totally know what you're talking about now, not sure about the one in the front of the linkage, but i'm sure i could find it. Thanks alot for the link! And what differenc will i feel with the new bushings?!

Old 06-11-2007, 04:04 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

wow forgot to check this to see your response Tony, i totally know what you're talking about now, not sure about the one in the front of the linkage, but i'm sure i could find it. Thanks alot for the link! And what differenc will i feel with the new bushings?!
Worlds of difference man. The change you feel now with just the shifter is nothing compared to how different it feels with bushings.

Just follow the two linkage bars up to the tranny, only one of them has a circular bushing on the end, thats the one I was talking about. One bolt, drop it out, put in new bushing, then you'll have to tap it back in with a rubber mallet or somthing, it's a tight squeeze

Old 06-11-2007, 07:52 AM
HCF Member

^ alright i'll get right on that, for real lol you guys want a little DIY to add to Sniper's short shifter DIY?

Old 06-11-2007, 08:37 AM
HCF Member

k just ordered some Prothane shifter bushings from www.philsinc.com, i'll update this when i get them installed, and i'll do a DIY on them.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:37 AM
HCF Member

^ Yea I took Tony's advice and im glad I did. This shifter of mine feels smooth as an M3

Old 06-28-2007, 05:12 PM
HCF Member

well not quite thread from teh dead, but i didnt think this was worth creating a new thread for. So anyway, i installed these today

all i have to say is, THANK YOU SO MUCH REM AND TONY! The Prothane bushings are amazing! Shift are still solid from the short shifter, but at the same time smooth as hell. Now driving down the road and even when idling, the shift **** doesnt wiggle at all, it stays perfectly smooth. They are sooo awesome, and only took like 15 minutes to install. I removed my linkage agian just to make it easier, wasnt necesarry, but w/e. I was gonna do a DIY, but for real it was just sliding one bushing off, sliding hte new one on, then for hte front one, using a screwdriver to pry the old one out, put hte one in, and reinstall the linkage. So for like $25 (ebay short shifter and Prothane bushings) and half an hour of striaght-forward easy abor, my tranny feels TOTALLY different and i could be happier, thanks again for the advice you guys. I'm learnin more and more that maybe you guys do acutally know what you're talkin about