Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Is the megan racing short shifter any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 01:04 PM
HCF Member
Red face Is the megan racing short shifter any good?

ive heard that if rubs with when put into 5th or reverse, but maybe they put it in wrong, its for 22 bucks and i need to change my bushings anyway, do you think they are good? anyone use em before?

http://www.imageinmotion.com/MEGANRACING09-SS-HC88C.htm < link!

Last edited by theRDRman; 01-01-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:11 PM

I'd say go for it. Megan Racing is a somewhat decent company, not the best though. I had a cheap aluminum short throw shifter from Pep Boys for a good 4-5 years before it finally broke on me. Luckily it broke at the base of the threads for the **** so I could still drive around until I replaced it. Actually happened to me during a Northeast Divisional AutoX LOL.

The Megan one says it's steel so I'd be less concerned with it breaking. They claim to have a 1 year limited warranty. I'd call/e-mail and ask what exactly that covers. If it rubs against your exhaust or doesn't fit right and they cover it under warranty then just return it.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:14 PM
HCF Member

oh ok sweet yeah ill do that, and i im planning on gettin password jdm bushing kit so i might aswell switch it out anyway, i actually think i have a short shifter its in the same shape as the megan one, how would i tell? and if it reduces the height by 1-3 inches can i get a taller ****?

Last edited by theRDRman; 01-01-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by theRDRman
oh ok sweet yeah ill do that, and i im planning on gettin password jdm bushing kit so i might aswell switch it out anyway, i actually think i have a short shifter its in the same shape as the megan one, how would i tell? and if it reduces the height by 1-3 inches can i get a taller ****?
I'd ditch the password jdm bushings and just get the Energy Suspension shifter bushings. ~$20 cheaper for basically the same thing. I've had mine in for years and they still feel the same as when I first put them in.

Not all short shifters change the height of the ****. What makes the throw shorter is that the bottom part of the shifter is actually longer. Here's a good picture I found of a comparison of a stock vs a short throw. Notice with the aftermarket one, the overall length is actually taller than the stock one. So this would actually put the shift **** higher than it is at stock position. But, notice under the ball looking piece that the shifter is longer. Even though the position of the **** is higher and the shifter is overall longer than the stock one, it will still have a shorter throw.

The easiest way to tell if you already have a short shifter in there is to either compare the shifter side by side with a stock one or drive another car of the same gen that you know has either a stock or aftermarket shifter.

If you don't like how low the shift **** sits, you could always get an extension for the shifter. They sell for real cheap on eBay.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:50 PM
HCF Member

oh ok , yeah it seems the like shifter on the right is taller, i guess thats the "short shifter", i have taken pictures of my shifter to show you before or if i need to make a thread but my computer doesnt want to upload them right now so when it works ill bump this thread so you can see!

Old 01-02-2012, 04:35 PM
HCF Member

I have that short shifter in my civic and personally I like it a lot

Old 01-02-2012, 07:44 PM
HCF Member

is it easy to install? how much of the throw is reduced do you think? and do i have a short shifter?

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by theRDRman; 01-02-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:53 PM

We can't tell from the top, the bottom part under the round pivot ball is what really determines if it's a short throw shifter or not. Even then, by itself it's hard to tell, we would need a stock one to compare it to.

My best guess by looking at that one is that it's a stock shifter.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM
HCF Member

It was easy to install only hard thing was rusty bolts but they all came loose. Measure your throw and I'll measure mine tomorrow and let you know. That looks like my stock shifter so I'm guessing it's stock.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:15 PM
HCF Member

i think im just gonna spend 22 and to hell with it, im pretty sure it is stock, thats what my guess it, thx man

Quick Reply: Is the megan racing short shifter any good?