Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

pressure plate rubs bellhousing

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Default pressure plate rubs bellhousing

ok. i know nothing about hondas. i'm a vw guy. i'm working on a project in school that involves a honda civic tranny. it's from a 1985 civic 2wd. its a 5sp. here's my questions:

where does the pilot bearing go? doesnt seem to be room in the center of the flywheel. is it pressed into the back of the crank? we dont have a crank so i cant figure it out. also, when i have the flywheel/clutch assembly sitting in the bellhousing up against the throwout bearing, it rubs in like 3 places. i was thinkin that i had the wrong pressure plate maybe. the pressure plate i have has 12 fingers on the diaphram spring. isnt it supposed to have 19? anyone have any pix of the back of a civic crank, or of the whole assembly in like a teardown diagram?

thanx.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Default RE: pressure plate rubs bellhousing

someone on this forum has had to take the tranny off of an 84-87 civic. the sticker on the side says GW, i'm assuming that's the model. is there even a pilot bearing/bushing involved in the assembly? where is it located? in the flywheel or in the back of the crank? someone's gotta have some pictures or information or something. advance auto sold me a pilot bearing that is actually a bearing, not a bushing. its a 6002-2rs bearing. the hole in the center of the flywheel is waaay too small for this bearing to fit in there. that's what leads me to believe that it goes in the back of the crank. problem is that i dont have a crank here. this tranny isnt going in a honda, its going in a big offroad gokart. does anyone here have the experience to offer me any insight into this?