Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Third Gear Synchro

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 02:00 AM
Default Third Gear Synchro

Hi guys. This is my first post. Anyway I've been having this problem of the transmission grinding going into third gear about half the time or more. It's a 2000 Honda Civic EX manual transmission with about 90,000 miles on it.

I took it into Firestone to get the transmission fluid changed thinking it couldn't hurt and the manual says to do it at 90,000 miles anyway. The guy told me he was going to have to look at it before he messed with the tranny fluid because apperently it can mess it up to change it if there's something wrong with the tranny (first time i heard that one). So I said told him ok and dropped it off with him. He calls back and says it's my third gear syncro and that changing the tranny fuild wouldn't help and may even make it worse so he didn't do it. This is what he quoted me for that he said I would have to do to get it fixed.

New Clutch Set: $276.99
Flywheel: $109.99
Transmission Rebuild Kit: $599.99
Honda Fluid: $16.99 per pint, needs 4 pints

It ends up being $1900 with labor [:@]

A couple of questions

1. Do I really need all of that because from what I understand that will give me basically a whole new transmission when I all really need is my third gear synchro?
2. Is this something I could do myself with maybe a couple of friends to help me? (I have some friends who are pretty good at cars and I could ask them about it)
3. What parts would I need if I were to do it myself, where could I get them, and how much would they cost?

If someone could help me out with this that would be great. Thanks

EDIT: Sorry one more thing... how long will it last before it dies? I got this car about 3 months ago and it's been doing it from the beginning. I didn't really notice it because this is my first stick and I got my dad to test drive it and actually sent it to Goodyear for them to look at it before I bought it but they didn't catch it. And will putting this off cause any more damage to the rest of my tranny or anything else in my car?

Old 06-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Default RE: Third Gear Synchro

For well under that cost you can get a good used tranny if you look around. ( I use www.car-parts.com for parts I get used) I have gotten a used tranny and some door glass for a friend through them. no problems whatsoever . it is basicly a list of what junkyards have and then you call the junkyard and buy directly from them.. there is often a HUGE difference in price from junkyard to junkyard.
Anyhow, I dont know much about the rebuild of a tranny. but you might look into replacing it, if it is that expensive
Good luck.

Harold

Old 06-21-2006, 09:02 AM

If I knew the engine specs I would look it up for you. I jsut tried, but there are too many options ( probably all the same tranny, but I am not sure)

M.T., SOHC 1600, base, HB
M.T., SOHC 1600, base, Cpe & Sdn
M.T., SOHC 1600, VTEC
M.T., SOHC 1600, VTEC-E
M.T., DOHC 1600

Any clue which it is anyone?

Old 06-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Cat Fuсker

the DOHC 1600 will not work

Old 06-21-2006, 09:27 AM

All of the others will?

Old 06-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Cat Fuсker

all sohc hydraulic civic trannys will....you want the ex tranny because of the gearing though...I hate S40's gears...they suck major time.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:44 PM

Alright I guess putting in a whole new transmission is an option... I'm not really sure how much I would trust buying a used one out of a junkyard though. What about just replacing the synchros on the one I have? How much would that cost me and how hard would it be?

Old 06-21-2006, 10:58 PM
HCF Member

When I changed my trans fluid I used stp syncro and ever since then my 3rd gear never grind again. My trans is a 5spd by the way.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:49 PM

Well, dude my car has 173,800 mileage and work really good so dont worry your car will die soon. By the way what do you guys think about my mile age.. my car will die soon or it will live for much longer??

Now i got something to say about hte transmision... i heard one of you said something about third gear to grind... well that doest happen to me.. my problem es that when im stopping in a red ligth, when im almost stoped i can shift to tird gear without pushing the clutch. What do you guys think about that? .. the problem i got with grinding is when shftin to reverse, to avoid it i shift to second.. then to reverse.. its there an solution to that reverse problem???? i mean can i shift normally to reverse with out it to grind.

i had a 95 civic ex

Old 06-22-2006, 10:10 PM

well I did change all my fluids at a jiffy lube and guess what I own an 89 civic hb with 180 thou miles on it . And as you thought it couldn't hurt, and was sadly mistaken as now it sounds like a rattle can in my tranny at low idel, but once it's up to speed in each gear it goes away. and **** yeah it messed up my tranny to where it rattles now. so to answer yer question yes prolly changing yer fluids can cause damage. but a tranny place said could still drive on it fer a while, but to look fer a new tranny. and FYI it's not just the synchros that can go out, main bearings as well, as my tranny mechanic told me that was my prob. and fer 400 bucks parts labor could fix it, but as one of you guys say yes ya can find good use trannies fer less moula. so if yer in need, or want to replace yer tranny, as suggested look arround before jumping inro an expensive repair.