Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

third gear with no clutch.. reverse grinding

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Default third gear with no clutch.. reverse grinding

I have a 95 civic ex coupe with 173 thousend miles. when im stoping in a red ligth, when im almost stoped ( the car is moving really slow) i can push the knop foward to third gear from neutral without using the clutch. should i'll be worried about this???[&:]

Other thing my trasmision does it that when shifting to reverse it grinds really bad at fisrt try so i shift to second then to reverse and it shift without problem and once in reverse i can still shifting to reverse in the moment with no problems... later after a few minutes of driving foward when i arrive and i need to use reverse the same sh*t happen....[:@]sometimes it wont take reverse it feels like the **** is stuck but i push it to reverse not so hard not so ligth and take out the clutch slowly and it shift with no problem and without grinding.

what do you guys think about that? THANKs

Old 06-24-2006, 11:10 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: third gear with no clutch.. reverse grinding

First, If you match the engine prm to the tranny speed tyou can shif into any gear without using the clutch.. so don't worry ahout that one.

Second,
Sounds like your reverse syncro is out. so keep on doing what you are doing, put the tranny into a forward gear, then into reverse.

ORIGINAL: HaZe89

I have a 95 civic ex coupe with 173 thousend miles. when im stoping in a red ligth, when im almost stoped ( the car is moving really slow) i can push the knop foward to third gear from neutral without using the clutch. should i'll be worried about this???[&:]

Other thing my trasmision does it that when shifting to reverse it grinds really bad at fisrt try so i shift to second then to reverse and it shift without problem and once in reverse i can still shifting to reverse in the moment with no problems... later after a few minutes of driving foward when i arrive and i need to use reverse the same sh*t happen....[:@]sometimes it wont take reverse it feels like the **** is stuck but i push it to reverse not so hard not so ligth and take out the clutch slowly and it shift with no problem and without grinding.

what do you guys think about that? THANKs
________
Charger (b-body)

Last edited by chriskatana; 03-10-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:06 AM

Thanks i didn't know that one about the tranny. well il keep doing that cause i can affor to waste money in that if the car can live with it cause i need to pimp my car.. its bone stock

Old 06-25-2006, 12:32 PM
HCF Member

It's a bad idea spending all your money on mods when there are repairs that need to be made. Once all your money is gone with mods, that's when one of those problems will get worse. Trust me.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:05 PM

That doesn't necisarily mean his reverse synchro is out. If you look in the manual it actually tells you to either hold the clutch in for a few seconds or shift into a foward gear before shifting into reverse. From my understanding that's just something that happens with manuals and in all cars not just civics.