Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Wierd trans codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Default Wierd trans codes

I recently bought a 98 honda civic ex, but i'm throwing some werid codes, P0700(Transmission Control System Malfunction),
p1758(Automatic Transaxle), andp1768(Automatic Transaxle), the werid thing is that alls these point to an automatic transmission right, well i have a manual one, i assuming that the prevous owner(who won't answer my phone calls) must have swapped the transmission right?he must have cause he has a switch for the reverse lights and a cruise button. so i'm thinking thatmaybe its still running with the auto ecu and this is why i'm throwing the codes? i tried to clear the codes but they come right back on with in 1 second of clearing them. does anyone know how to tell an auto ecu from a manual one? the car runs and drives fine andy help would be great.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Default RE: Wierd trans codes

I finally got ahold of the previous owner and he said that its a maunual ecu, and says i need to change the wire harness to make the codes go away, but from everything i've read on this board u don't need to swap engine harnesses only ecu's. so i'm looking for something that tells me what ecu it is from the serial numbers on it, kinda like this one
http://hondaswap.com/~pills/autotomanual.html
but for obd2 civic computers, so i can make sure its a manual ecu before going to a whole new engine harness, does anyone know where i can find out this information, thanks

Old 02-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Default RE: Wierd trans codes

UPDATE:
Well, it was an auto ECU in there, so after i switched to the right ECU, the check engine light went off but went back on but did erased the auto trans codes, but now i have a code 1508 (idle control problem) from the sticky auto to manual it looks like u have to change the conector and switch some wires on the ecu to fix this problem, got the right connector on the way, hope it works and i have no CEL, and i can pass inspection