Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Will not go into Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Default Will not go into Reverse

So I am new to the forum and new to Civics. I was strickly a truck kind of girl but then I needed something dependable.

So then I purchased a used 2002 Civic DX just to get me to and from the airport. I am just under 50k miles on it and it rarely goes into reverse anymore.

And sometimes when I move the stick into the lower quadrant it starts to stick there and is difficult to get back into neutral. Neutral also seems very loose.

When I am on the freeway it pops out of 5th or will not be there....it goes into 3rd and there is this play that I have in the stick where 5th should be.

Is it possible that I have the lemon car? I do not drive it hard, it's a car from point A to B for me. Should I be preparing my pocketbook for a new transmission? Is that what it seems like?

Anyone? Buellar...Buellar?

Old 05-15-2006, 10:06 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: Will not go into Reverse

Hi and welcome to the forum. Check this out, I don't think you want to read all 15 pages, but my buddy started this thread last summer . . . and it's still going. (he got his replaced at no charge.) Other 7th gen owners have had transmissions go bad early -- read through it and see if it helps you at all (or just makes you nervous!)

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=224048

p.s. on second thought, you might want to just check out all your shift bushings too.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Default RE: Will not go into Reverse

Thanks for the link...yeah it is a little nerve racking. I do not even know how much a new transmission costs.

I did have a local auto repair shop look at it and said he may need to replace the bushings but then had advised me to go to Honda because the whole console is one unit and he could not take it apart.

He of course did not charge me...but it's nice to hear any advise as I am nervous about dropping this car off tomorrow at Honda