General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

crx si good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:33 PM
HCF Member
Default crx si good deal?

I'm trying to help my buddy get a honda for his next car. I'm thinking this is a good deal, despite the fact of haveing some rust and bald tires. I haven't seen or test drove the car yet, we're thinking of heading over to check it out this weekend.The pic on the site was taken 6 years ago....so I can only wonder how bad it is. But the guy def isn't misleading LOL.

http://nh.craigslist.org/car/540259537.html

Old 01-16-2008, 07:04 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: crx si good deal?

come on somebody must have some input on this???

I can't believe the car only has 90k miles on it. For the price I think it'll be a good fixer upper. Thinking about going with $600 cash in hand see if he bites.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:50 PM

If the mechanicals are good,frame isnt rusted or anything, it drives well, and its just cosmetic like the bumpers he said, then Id probably go for it at $500-600 if you want a project car...

cant get much for $600so its not breaking the bank either way, and it looks like a reallyfun car to have...too bad his pic is 6 years old...

Old 01-16-2008, 08:35 PM
HCF Member

IMO it shouldnt be that bad if you're paying 750, let alone 5-600. What do 2 fenders cost at a junk yard, 25$ each? and with the rear 1/4's just bondo it. lol paint it flat black with spray paint, and you're good to go. New tires?!? psh. who needs em. haha

Old 01-16-2008, 08:41 PM
HCF Member

^^ I like how this guy thinks

Old 01-16-2008, 08:43 PM

I'd have to agree. That's pretty agood dealfor a crx that runs "excellent,"with 92000 miles, and only needs body work.

Ifound this pretty funny: "good car to drive into a wall runs and drives exellent," and this: "not kidding really looks like Sh**"

What an honest listing.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:43 PM
HCF Member

^^ thats what I'm thinking if he's honest about that. than the mileage and clutch should be good but i'm still gonna ask to see documents of the repairs.

We're going to meet him at a wal-mart tomorrow at 5. He said that he had his rims robbed at gunpoint??? So thats why he wants to meet in public... whatever...... sounds a little sketch but we'll see. If on site the car is just one big rust pile we're prolly just gonna say no. We will bring $600 in cash with us and first see if he will sell it for 500 if we test drive it and the suspension, clutch and engine seem ok. Even so a 91 crx si is a good find, the engine isn't anything spectacular d16a6 but when I do my engine swap thinking about hooking my friend up with my d16y8 to swap in to the crx.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:47 AM
HCF Member

Ok so checked out the car the other day. It's got a bunch of mods done to it which I didn't expect cause he didn't list any on craigslist. He admited that he drives it hard and races it. But the clutch is pretty new, and the engine runs fine. It's got an intake on it, sri that he said cost 399$? It's not a v2 said it's cause it has valves on the intake an engine, you know those tiny cone filters. Never heard of the name befor.. but also has a header thats heatwrapped, and a yoshimitzu exhaust, a motorcycle exhaust tip, good welds. Sounds pretty bad ***. Also has a type s clutch and short shifter. Should of snagged some pics. He filled the rust spots with foam and painted a flat black strip across the middle of the car, not too bad looking actually.

He said the engine he swapped into it was an "IS" I think? I forget i asked him if it was the d16a6 that originally comes in the crx si. But he said it was something else. Nothing too special a 1.6L.

I test drove it cause my buddy can't drive stick yet, and it does get up and go. Took a little bit to get used to because I don't drive a short shifter and that thing was the shortest short shifter I ever drove. Very different.

So anyway my friend brought $540 with him and the seller stood firm at $600. I thought was kinda bizarre.I said that I would hit up an ATM, but we thought maybe should take a day to think about it anyway. So he wants to get the car but the games today and he didn't want to miss it (pats, chargers).

He thinks the car wont go anywhere and will still be there for another week. I highly doubt it since he dropped the price and the shell and engine are in good shape!!! I told he should call see if the guy will atleast hold it for $600 for him. But he's like nah it's not going anywhere???

Whatever what do you guys think?

Old 01-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Super Cereal Admin

I think the craigslist ad was taken down.... I think your friend probably should've hit up that atm when he had the chance

Old 01-20-2008, 10:30 AM

I think that anyway you look at it 600$ for a car that drives isnt much money, so pretty much anyone could afford it and it would probably go with a week - but who knows...even if the car only lasts 6 months itsworth it...so to loose the dealover only $60 ???I agree that its always good to think about it for a day, but tell your friend to make up his mind soon...if he wants it just pay the $60 more otherwise keep looking and be ready to spend more...granted if he wants to keep the car it would probably get costly to fix every little thing, but then he wouldnt be looking at 17 year old cars...