Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

96 Civic Fuel filter replacement issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Default 96 Civic Fuel filter replacement issues

Hey there,

So, I replaced my fuel filter on my 96 Honda Civic CX.
The replacement filter came with copper washers but the original had none attached or that came off.

Anyways, I replaced the filter and washed out a lil fuel that got on the firewall, and waited a couple hours for it to try.
By this time, it was night time and dark but I went to start the car and it turns over but doesn't start. I checked under the hood and there was fuel on the filter, battery, firewall and underneath.
Like I said its night time and I can't see more but my father and I were sure we did everything correctly. I'm thinking that there may be a leak from the banjo bolt on top, it's the only odd bolt we've never encountered.

also, we barely touched the fuel lines so an accidental break would be weird.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
giancarlo

Old 02-04-2012, 04:23 PM

Did you use the copper washers? Even if they didn't come off, they're supposed to be on there. One goes on each side of the banjo fitting.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

and [i]no[i] copper washer where the line attaches to the bottom. It's a flare fitting.

Make sure the old washers weren't stuck to the banjo or the bolt. You need exactly one washer on each side, one where the banjo touches the filter and one where the big part of the bolt touches the top of the banjo.

Wait until daytime then find the leak. It would be safer to turn the key on but don't crank, the fuel will still flow for a couple of seconds.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:51 PM

^ what they said. Did you use a torque wrench when putting the bolts back on? Too tight could possibly fracture a washer. Too lose obviously would leak.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:37 PM

Yes, just the large washers on the banjo bolt. NONE on the bottom where the hard line connects!

I made that mistake, then I ended up breaking the line and cross threading the lower fitting. Not fun...

Old 02-05-2012, 11:36 AM

Thanks everyone for your help! I used the recommended suggestions and that problem is fixed!

Unfortunately, there was a huge plume of grey smoke from the exhaust so I investigated under the hood, and noticed a little smoke coming from the heat shield over the headers, and my neighbour and I noticed a small cracking...yay to 17 year old cars lol.
He suggested some JB Weld but I don't think that will work, and suggested to hit the junk yard for some new ones

Old 02-05-2012, 11:38 AM

Every manifold from a 96-00 Civic will crack there. JB weld will work for awhile but will eventually burn off. The cheapest fix is to remove it from the car and take it to an exhaust shop to be welded. They would have to be careful about the threads on the o2 sensor hole.

I only recommend removing it from the car completely because I have heard a couple of stories about frying the computer because they used an arc welder and didn't ground it well...

Old 02-05-2012, 06:35 PM

Good to hear the first issue is fixed. Sorry about the crack. Yes they will get worse and no JB is not the answer. I just welded mine up not too long ago. Holding up great. V'd it out well and filled it up with my MIG, ground it down smooth, and good to go. My crack started at the O2 threads and extended around the back of the manifold about 4-5 inches.