Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Check Engine Light - I'm getting codes but light isn't coming on

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Default Check Engine Light - I'm getting codes but light isn't coming on

Hey again,

I recently posted my issue about power loss & the engine shuddering here: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=84861

Tried the main relay.... no joy.

The check engine light hasn't been tripped at all yet but I was advised to check anyway. It gave me the codes:

14 EACV - (IAC) - Electronic Air Control Valve
41 PO2H - Primary Oxygen Sensor Heater

Is it normal for these codes to be shown even though the check engine light hasn't been lit? If so, would that be the source of my issues?

Thanks again!

Old 08-30-2010, 04:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I assume that you read them out by watching the CEL flash, so you know the bulb works.

Those are probably old codes. If there is a temporary situation, the CEL will go out the next time the engine is started, but the code will stay stored in memory. Reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery with the key off, then drive for a while and read the codes again.

Code 14 occurs whenever the idle speed is out of control. Very common for it to occur for no real failure.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:52 PM

I cleared the codes with help from someone who knows what they're doing. Checked itagain and they were gone.

While I drove it home it was having issues again so i checked it again.... it showed both codes again.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:08 PM

Does the light work at all? It should pop on for a couple of seconds when you first start the car.

[edit] So you cleared them and they came back? Good. That tells us there's a legit problem.