Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

engine swaping issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Default engine swaping issue

I have an engine from a 1996 civic DX sedan non-Vtec, and i would like to drop it into a 1997 civic ex coupe which is Vtec. the 97 coupe's engine is blown and its transmission is still good. The tranny in the 97 is standard and the tranny from the 1996 is automatic, I still have it with some other parts from the car too. What i want to know is what do i have to do to put the good engine i have from the 96 DX into the 97 EX civic. I know i have to change the ECU and the wiring harness because the engine is non-Vtec that im putting into the 97 EX which had a V-tec engine in it. But do i have to do anything else to it? will i have an issue going from an automatic to standard transmission? will I have to change anything else on the car to be compatible with the new Engine and ECU? Also if the Head is still good on the 97 civic v-tec engine do you think i would be able to put it on my 96 non-vtec engine and make it work with out having it machined so i wouldnt have to change the ECU or wiring harness?(thats just an after thought really) I have never done a job like this before on a Civic, so i am in some what uncharted waters.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 AM

Wall of text. I have a big feeling that my below quote is easier to read.

1. What i want to know is what do i have to do to put the good engine i have from the 96 DX into the 97 EX civic. I know i have to change the ECU and the wiring harness because the engine is non-Vtec that im putting into the 97 EX which had a V-tec engine in it.

2. Will i have an issue going from an automatic to standard transmission?

3. Also if the Head is still good on the 97 civic v-tec engine do you think i would be able to put it on my 96 non-vtec engine and make it work with out having it machined so i wouldnt have to change the ECU or wiring harness?(thats just an after thought really)
1. non-vtec motor into a vtec chassis. nothing is needed. Just don't plug in the vtec plugs. ECU from the 96 will need to be brough over.

2. manual transmission in the 97 EX manual vehicle. Nothing is needed. If you were installing the manual trans into the automatic 96 DX then much more work would be needed.

3. Installing a vtec head onto a non vtec block is called a mini me conversion. Research it and you will see it is fairly easy to do. The harness which is in the 97 EX (manual) will be fine, especially if you plan on keeping manual trans.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If you can swap the head over you would have a perfect fit. In other words just change the bottom half of the engine and leave everything else from the EX on the EX.

Using the non-VTEC head in the EX with the EX ECU would cause the CEL to come on once you hit 5500 rpm. Stay below that and it will not know there is no VTEC.

If you want to basically downgrade the car to an LX non-VTEC you will need a manual DX/LX ECU, put on a DX/LX intake and rewire the harness for 3-wire IACV. Automatic ECU can't be used in a manual car or vice versa.