Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Some leads on why my 2000 Civic won't start? (w/vid)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 01:33 PM
Default Some leads on why my 2000 Civic won't start? (w/vid)

My Civic tries to turn over, but can't make it all the way.
Not sure how helpful that will be. Warning - some high pitched noises in there.

My Pops said the engine is behaving like it's not getting fuel, but we cracked the nut on the fuel filter, and that seems to be flowing fine.
In looking at the engine, I noticed what seemed like
Don't remember seeing these before, but I'm not positive.

A co-worker gave me the number of a mechanic that can come to where I am, so I won't have to get it towed. I'd rather address the issue myself if at all possible - car doesn't have much value left, and I just want to get it running and get it sold..

Also of note, had problems starting it a few months back where turning the key did nothing - probably a short in the ignition switch; probably unrelated..

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:01 PM
HCF Member

Are you saying the crank won't spin? If it spins but won't fire, try a new coil. I keep a spare and a 2-foot long Phillips head screwdriver to remove two top distributor screws. After you unscrew the bottom one, don't screw it back in.
I have to trade coils every couple hundred miles.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:55 PM
HCF Member

Try spraying some starter fluid into the intake as you crank it. If it starts then its a fuel issue. If it still doesn't start with the help of starting fluid then it's a pretty good chance it's not a fuel issue. But make sure you have spark coming out of all four coils. Make sure it's coming out of the distributor as well. Check for injection pulses as somebody is cranking the engine. Just start from the most simple easy things to check then from there go to the medium than the hardest things. Even check your ground wires. Check all the ground wires that you can see going from the engine to the body. Check to see if you got feel pressure. You can do this by loosening the banjo nut on the fuel filter and then having somebody just turn the key don't try starting it but just turn the key so that all the gauges inside light up. Make sure you have a rag underneath. And if you see fuel squirt out when the key is turned on then you've got feel pressure. Good luck buddy