Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

no check engine light on but having engine issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:56 AM
Default no check engine light on but having engine issues...

sometimes when I try to start the car it feels like it wants to give out but then turns... and sometimes when I'm on idle for a few minutes the car starts to shake weirdly and feel like it wants to shut off but doesn't....

Old 01-16-2012, 07:17 AM
HCF Member

More info please.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:23 AM

Check your starter? Im not sure about that part, but my car would start idling violently also. And it turned out i had a bad plug wore. After shanging that, it ran perfect. Also check your spark plugs. Make sure all connections are tight. Lastly check your distributor cap. If it looks worn then clean it down or replace it. Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:34 AM
HCF Member

Do a cel test, maybe the bulb is out. You could be throwing codes without knowing.

Could be many things:

1Spark plugs
2Spark plug wires
3Dizzy cap
4Fuel filter
5O2 sensors
6air filter
7IACV

Old 11-15-2015, 08:05 PM
HCF Member

If you take your car to the dealer to have them diagnose it. And if it is the main computer you're looking at easy 800 to 1000 bucks. The main computer is something that doesn't go bad very often. It's very rare. Not to mention the amount of money they're going to charge you just to figure out what's going on with your car. What you should do is take it to Autozone if there is one in your area don't take it to this mr. Tire place. Because the fact that they charged $110 just to pull the code sounds to me like there a scam. Anyways take it to Autozone have them pull the code for free and then once you have that code. You can post it on this forum and hopefully some pretty knowledgeable guys on this forum can help you out. But also do your part type in the code on Google to see what comes up.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:11 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by miguel11691
sometimes when I try to start the car it feels like it wants to give out but then turns... and sometimes when I'm on idle for a few minutes the car starts to shake weirdly and feel like it wants to shut off but doesn't....
Even though your check engine light may not be on. You should check to see if there's any pending codes. Like my car I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX and I noticed when I would start it it kind of had like a misfire feeling to the engine but I never had a check engine light so I just figured it was normal. Well just the other day my car started immediately stalled. No check engine light or pending codes. And no the check engine light bulb was not out. I found out that my timing belt has slipped 3 teeth on the camshaft. But it was also by coincidence that I had a bad ignition coil. That one ignition coil was tested on the other three wires and it would fire. But even then it still didn't throw check engine light. Anyways to make a long story short even though something might be wrong your car will not always throw a check engine light.