Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine light but no Code??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 03:58 AM
Default Check Engine light but no Code??

Hi everyone

I have a strange problem that may or may not be simple. I had my oil changed a while back at the Honda Dealer on my 2005 Civic LX Sedan. A few days later I noticed, when first starting the engine, that the "Maint Req'd" light would flash a few times and go out. A week or so ago, the light came on solid and has not gone out yet. I borrowed a code reader from a friend and hooked it up and everything checked out OK, there were no codes in the car's computer. The light is still on. I am wondering if this might be something simple like the dealer forgetting to reset the computer after the oil change. The car is running fine.

Should I simply reset the light using the odometer button as described in some other posts on HCF?

I'd appreciate any advice you folks can provide.

Thanks kindly

Mahones

Old 10-31-2007, 06:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Check Engine light but no Code??

The maintenance required light is different from the check engine light. It is just to remind the driver of service intervals. It is different from the trouble codes in the ECU caused by sensor failures, etc. I think you can find out why it came on (i.e. what type of maintenace is due) by following the instructions in the car owner's manual.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Default RE: Check Engine light but no Code??

Thanks MK378

Since I had my last servicing done at Honda only 3000-4000km ago, I shouldn't be scheduled for another maintenance visit. Is it likely that they forgot to reset the computer when I was last in for an oil change? Can I/Should I reset the computer myself?

Thanks again for the help

Chris