Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97EX Turns Over But Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Default 97EX Turns Over But Won't Start

It's my fiance's car & she says she checks the oil, but when it didn't start up the other day it was just about completely out of oil. I figured dump some in & it started right up. This morning, same thing.....turn the key & it's turning over but won't start. the oil level is fine & I guess it was just a coincedence that it started the other day after adding some oil. There's spark at the plugs, the distributor & wires are only about 6 months old. I'm guessing maybe a fuel system problem at this point? I read that it could be the main relay or the fuel pump? Is one more common than the other going bad & how would I diagnose this? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When the engine won't start:

Is the spark at the plugs bright white/bluish or weak orange?

Turn the key to ON(II) and listen carefully for the low humming noise of the fuel pump in the rear for 2 seconds. Do you hear it?

Old 04-02-2009, 12:34 PM

The sparks are fine....bright blue. I'll check for the pump humming shortly when I get home to start fiddling around. Turn the key and stand behind the car by the gas tank your saying or I should be able to hear it from inside the car?

Old 04-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by ThunderStump
The sparks are fine....bright blue. I'll check for the pump humming shortly when I get home to start fiddling around. Turn the key and stand behind the car by the gas tank your saying or I should be able to hear it from inside the car?
Roll up all the windows and then turn the key to ON(II) while remaining in the driver's seat. You should hear the pump in the rear make noise for 2 seconds.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:21 PM

Another way you can listen for the fuel pump is if you have a buddy, have him behind the wheel while you have you ear at the fuel fill tube with the cap off. Have your friend turn the key to the 2nd position and listen for a hum that lasts a few seconds.

You can also check if you fuel is getting to your rail by loosing the bolt at your fuel filter and see if fuel comes out when you turn the key to the 2nd position. Fuel filter is close to your battery, next to a black vacuum canister.

If you don't hear fuel pump or getting fuel to the rail, then you can try looking towards the main relay. Honda's are notorious for bad main relays...a simple and cheap fix if it is. If you know where your MR is and know how to use a soldering iron then you can try this.

http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html

This link shows you where you MR.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/1...r/IMG_4816.jpg