Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 turns over but won't start, gauges shake

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Default 02 turns over but won't start, gauges shake

My 2002 has begun to have trouble starting in the past few weeks. It started with maybe once per week and now happens almost every other time I try and start it.

What happens is the starter will crank but the engine will not fire. 9/10 it will start on the second try, the other 1/10 it will start on the third try. When this occurs, the gauges jump erratically and continue to do so after I remove the key. From what I can find so far, it doesn't appear to be an electrical thing due to it being able to crank, but what's interesting is that after a couple weeks of this occurring, today my trip meters and radio presets were undone, as if the battery had been disconnected (it hadn't). Hoping for a little guidance on what to try first. Thanks. Forgive me if I left out important info, this is my first post.

TG

Old 08-10-2015, 06:03 AM
HCF Member

Are you sure that the issue is not battery related?

Old 08-10-2015, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by gohonda
Are you sure that the issue is not battery related?
I'm not completely sure. It's weird because it turns over no problem and does have the weak feeling that it does if the battery is low. I haven't put a DMM on the battery but I imagine it's going to show no issues since it's fairly new. I will do that the next chance I get, but assuming that is not the case I'd like to have some idea of where to go next.