Audio/Video & Electronics DIYs For all you sound/video junkies

Rear Speaker Installation (96-00 Civic Sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Default Rear Speaker Installation (96-00 Civic Sedan)

Ok guys and gals. I have done a DIY on rear speakers for the 96-00 4 doors. For you coupes out there dont worry. Its almost the same thing. First, get some speakers. Ahh, the legendary A/D/S AL5's.

Then grab your supplies. Mountain Dew is your budy here. For you smokers, you will find that its REALLY friggin hard to work under the trunk with a cancer stick in your mouth. The beer is for a job well done (use it last). Some of these tools you see will not be applicable to your task. I will be installing components instead of coaxials. But it doesnt matter, its all the same thing. The dime has nothing to do with your tool list. Maybe you could buy gum with it so you wont get the urge to smoke while you're on the job.

Now fold down the seats and open doors and get ready to work on this for the next 30 minutes to and hour.

Remove the shoulder cushions by yanking them upward and pulling them back. I like to take them and wedge them up under the door so they will stay out of the way. Trust me, they get annoying quick.

Use a #12 wrench or bit to remove the baby seat bolt. There is a plastic shell over it. It pops right off to expose the bolt.

Once the bolt is off, pull the lip from up under the metal, it pops right off. Now pull the whole molding in an upward angle toward you. Its ok to show it some muscle. Dont yank too hard though... look at the next step for the answer.

Many times people forget about the brake light wire and yank and tug going "WTF is going on?". The maroon part of the clip has a piece behind it that you squeeze and it will come off. Now once that is done slide the seat belts out of the slits in the molding. And put the molding in the grass or on a soft surface to keep it from scratching.

That is what everything should look like. You are going to need a "nubby" phillips screwdriver so you can get the screws out of the back of the speaker. The reason is the windshield isnt high enough and using a nubby phillips screw driver will do the trick. (Notice the stock speakers kinda look like old Bose speakers.

A lot of novices get stumpped here. Yes, some companies have clips that will mimic the socket to plug in. I just say to hell with it and clip them off. Notice I crimped on butt connectors for the speakers. They will plug nicely with the outputs the aftermarket speakers have to offer.

Note: the red wire is positive.

Your done! This is the part where you screw the speakers back in to make sure everything is peachy. And put everything back together which shouldnt take you longer than 10 minutes. Dont forget to clip the brake light back in!

But wait!? What to do with the old speakers? Well, I found a few ways...

A door stop

A refridgerator magnet

Or a disposable cereal bowl. Part of a complete breakfast!