Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Adding Subwoofers Need some help please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Default Adding Subwoofers Need some help please.

I am wanting to put subwoofers into my 2012 Honda Civic LX. It is the bare minimum when it comes to features. It only has the 4 speakers, and 2 tweeters. No factory sub. I have my amp, my subs, and a wiring kit for my amp. I want to keep my stock head unit, other wise I would not need help figuring out how to run everything from my stock HU. I need to know how to keep the bass from my speakers and only have it going to my subs. I need to know how to take my dash off so I can get to the wires behind my radio, and I have heard of an LOC, would I need one or 2 of those if at all??

Please be very descriptive when telling my how to do this.

Thanks,
JeffE

Old 06-02-2013, 11:29 AM

You can do it pretty easily. First you will need an rca line converter. Stinger makes a good one and I found one on line at walmart.
Stinger SGN11 12W Fixed Line Output Converter: Auto Electronics : Walmart.com
Next if you want subwoofer control you might want to add an independent analog subwoofer control.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-CA...-/360434737669
You will connect the rca line converter to the rear speaker leads.(in the truck of the car) I'm assumming under the rear deck. You can youtube this. You will use scotchloks so you don't disconnect the wires to your rear speakers, just tap into them.
If you want indepenent control of subwoofer volume you will need to run an RCA cord up to the front of the car and put the subwoofer control **** where you can reach it.
So you don't have to buy 2 rca cords seeing how subwoofers are mono. You can use a RCA Y- connector at the line level convertor connect to one of the long RCAs to the front. The other side of the long rca will connect to a RCA Y-connector and run to your amps input.
If you want to block out bass frequencies to your speakers you will need to solder in capacitors to each speaker. you tube it.
This is the cheapest way to acomplish exactly want you want, but you will not get the best sound quality. For a few bucks more you should run a 4 channel amp with cross overs. Set one to high pass and run your rear speakers. Set one to Low Pass and run your subs. Send me a PM and I can help you through the process more.
Good Luck!