Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Amp installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:38 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Amp installation

ORIGINAL: badb0ybilly

im not entirely sure how to amp speakers.. (as ive only installed subs) but im pretty sure you're gunna need to run RCA wires from the head to the amp. then just simple speaker wire from the amp to the speakers. it should be that simple but im not entirely sure. im sure someone here will correct me. but thats how i would do it.
i thinnk your getting engine noise

Old 02-23-2007, 07:19 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Chaos
Where does the wire in the back of the HU harness go labled amp?
that goes to the last post on your amp, theres 12V, ground, and Remote, and that wire goes to the remote. You dont need a big 4 gauge wire for that thouh, just a little 12 or 18 gauge wire will do (like any other wire comin from the back of the HU). This wire tells the amp to turn on when the CD player turns on, that why your amp isnt ALWAYS drawing power from your battery, which would obviously drain it.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Tonymore

Alright basically you have the right idea. I did not specify where on the back of the head unit you connect the 10-12 gauge ground to...it goes to the GROUND on the head unit...generally the BLACK wire. Along with the vehicle harness ground. So you will have to add it to the already existing wiring...
What about just bolting it to the chassis? Also, I assume that its 10-12 gauge wire from the Posative to the amp?? I am going to do it without a wiring kit I think. And does anyone have any objections if I document a DIY for submittion?

HOWEVER, I have just learnt of my first critical mistake. My headunit doesnt have a Sub Out, only Rear outs. Meaning that if I want to run subs, Im going to have to bridge a big 4 channel amp. I didnt realise and now I'm going to have to rethink my setup. Thanks for your help anyway guys.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:20 AM

Dear sweet mother mary of god....I didnt realize you were talking about the REMOTE wire...man I am sorry....I was reffering to getting rid of alternator noise...my bad.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:28 PM
HCF Member

yes, i was looking at those amp installation kits, they look really good, they do have all u need and diagrams as well, u could look at sub kits as well from respectable companies, im not sure how their sound is though

Old 02-26-2007, 11:54 AM

Amp installation kits are a great basic way to get started. As far as sound is concerened, you will be just fine with just about any kit...as long as the power wire is sufficient for your demands. I have seen several kits claiming to support "1000-1500 WATTS!" but only have an 8 AWG power wire. At a minimum I would recommend a 4 AWG power/ground setup. Anything smaller is asking for trouble. Think of it like a garden hose, if you have a small hose then only a small portion of water can get through it at one time...same with a power wire...

If you have say a class D super mono block 2500 watt sub amp made by kickinpine, and you use an 8 AWG power wire...your subs are going to laugh at you as they barely move at all at full volume. The reason for this is the amp requires a constant velocity of power, as in, it needs a large water hose hooked up to it to supply the HUGE watering demands it has.

I am sure this isnt going to make sense to someone so lets just put it this way...

Bigger power wire is better no matter what the situation. Why? It allows you to get the full potential out of your amp/sub combonation, and allows for upgrade in the future, without having to re-run a larger power wire.

So let the questions come...

Old 02-26-2007, 04:55 PM
HCF Member

you don't have to have a sub out

I use rear outs for my subs, only set of pre-amp out's I have on my older Alpine unit.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:22 PM

Yup, you dont even NEED pre-outs, but sound quality is hurt a little bit if you use a "hi-level converter." People do it all the time, and like I had said before if you are just using it for subs, the frequency is too low to pick up any kind of "bad" noise/sound.

I have done what stumaster did with his alpine. It works just as well, but you have to have a crossover...and is generally not controlled by the headunit...

Old 02-27-2007, 03:55 AM

I had the option of going with a larger amp to run 6x9s and a set of subs but I chose to go with 2 amps and get a new head unit later when I can afford it. (Clearly before I get another amp and subs.)

Old 02-27-2007, 07:50 AM
HCF Member

I highly suggest 1 sub amp, 1 high amp.

It's hard to mix power levels when you start hooking high's and subs up to the same amp, even a 4 channel amp.

Sub amps are best run either 1 channel mono, or bridged to 1 channel (if its a 2 channel), they seem to be more efficient that way.

I like a good 4 channel for high's alone, so you can have more options to fine tune stuff.