Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

best place to have car audio install done if you can't DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:38 AM
HCF Member
Post best place to have car audio install done if you can't DIY

Back in 1998, I had a new Pioneer head unit, new front and rear Pioneer speakers, new four port sub box, and two 10" Pioneer subwoofers all bought at Best Buy installed by Best Buy. The only thing I didn't buy there was an MTX amp, but they installed that too. Can't remember what the total price came out to cuz it was so long ago, but it was before Geek Squad was even in existence.

Was checking Best Buy's website for car audio installations and they charge just for labor $69.99 for just speakers, another $69.99 for just amplifier (wiring not included in price), and $49.99 just for a new car deck. I plan on getting a new CD/mp3 head unit and new front and rear speakers (elsewhere for cheaper), then putting in my current subwoofer/sub box/amp. So that would be $189.97 at Geek Squad at Best Buy. Does that seem like a fair price?

It's just that I want a professional install. The guy who owned my Civic before me had wires all over the place going from the head unit to the subs in the trunk and he royally messed up the wiring when he put in the Lambo doors which I took off around 2009. I put in a new head unit myself but it must not have balanced right or something cuz every time I hit a bump or small pothole, the power to the head unit switches off. Was too cheap of a head unit anyway I guess.

Just want a pro install. If there's anyone in the Chicago area, I'd be willing to pay for labor, PM me, but right now I just want advice.

Thank you.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:03 PM

Damn. If you were around me, I would help you out.

Otherwise, I would assume $190 is a fair price. I am out of touch on audio installation costs as I have been doing all that myself for years.

I am sure with enough effort, you can do it yourself. The front door speakers are incredibly easy IMO. Look for some DIY guides floating around on the internet if you want to attempt to tackle this yourself.

Audio wiring is pretty easy IMO, just routing the wiring can be a pain. If all of the wiring is already there, you should be fine to do it yourself as long as you get a similar set-up. I doubt the geek squad will "clean up" any wiring that is already there, or I doubt they will remove the current wiring to install the new wiring (if you buy some) if there aren't problems currently.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:17 PM
HCF Member

i concur. doing stereo isnt hard at all. its only two wires + and - for the speakers. routing and making it look clean is the real challenge.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:30 PM

Honestly, do it yourself and save a bundle. Use the cash you saved to buy... I dunno, 150 packs of gum or something. There's no need to pay someone cash to do something you can definitely do yourself. You can get professional results doing it yourself. Just ask questions here.

Also, check out Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers for any of the actual wiring questions. There are many good resources there.