Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Corrosion at radiator from amp hook up ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 05:22 AM
HCF Member
Default Corrosion at radiator from amp hook up ??

My friend noticed corrosion on the rad since he hooked up his Amp. I said I never heard of that. Whats your take on the deal? Anybody have some input? Bad ground maybe. Lets hear your ideas. Thanks Toby

Old 02-14-2007, 12:07 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Corrosion at radiator from amp hook up ??

Believe it or not, i used to have a car that had a similar problem, but I can't really remember if it was before or after I hooked up a system when I noticed it.

They may not even be related, but I will do some looking around and see if I can find any information that confirms the theory.

It would be a good idea to check the grounds though, make sure there isn't any paint under the wiring, and its bare metal to metal. That does seem like a pretty good place to start.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:19 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Corrosion at radiator from amp hook up ??

Found this on a trusted website:

____________________-
Leaks caused by internal corrosion may be found almost anywhere on a radiator. The most vulnerable points are usually the seams and where the tubes are joined to the headers. The underlying cause is almost always cooling system neglect, but it may also be due to bad ground connections between the engine, charging system and vehicle body. If the coolant has been changed regularly and tests good, check the engine's ground connections and clean and retighten as needed.

Solder bloom is a type of internal corrosion that can form when neglected coolant, rust and some types of leak inhibitor additives react with the soldered joints in a copper/brass radiator. White to green crumbly deposits begin to grow, which can block tubes and restrict the flow of coolant. A radiator with this kind of problem must be recored or replaced. The cooling system should be cleaned and flushed to remove deposits and sediment.
______________________-

Looks like you were right on. I would say to get a tester, maybe a powered tester, and test the grounds all over the car, not just the battery and audio hook ups. The engine grounds as well. And or check for leaks around the key elements of connections and the radiator itself. If that doesn't solve the problem let us know and we will keep looking!

Good luck.