Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

DIY Fake Alarm (Varad Flashing LED)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:23 PM
HCF Member
Default DIY Fake Alarm (Varad Flashing LED)

I don't know if this is considered a DIY, but I recently installed this in my car. I know alot of you don't want to pay for expensive alarms, so here is an alternative. It's the same flashing LED's as Viper, etc... alarms. I bought it for 10$ at Future Shop, plus you need a 12volt bosch relay (you can get this at Canadian Tire, etc... for around 4$ wich includes the harness). so theives will think you have an alarm, for only 14$ (in U.S., probably less than 10$). It can be done without the relay, but you will have to turn it on and off yourself. With the relay it is done automatically, when you turn on the car it turns the LED off, then when you turn off the car it turns the LED on. On the LED, there is 3 wires that goes to the LED controller (where you adjust the flashing speed) then 2 wires come out of that and goes to the LED. I cut the 2 wires going to the led because they were too short. so I ran 2 new wires from near the fuse box over driver feet to near my rear view mirror (where I put the led) then reconnected the led on those wires (make sure to check polarity, LED's only work in one direction). Then I soldered the 2 new wires to the controller and put it near the fuse box over driver feet. i also put the relay at the same place. Now For the connections, for the 3 wires coming out of the controller, connect the red wire to 87a on the relay. tehn the black & the yellow wire can be joined together and connected to ground. 86 on relay is also connected to ground. 85 on relay can be tapped off of the + wire of the lighter circuit. then 30 on relay can be connected to constant + (battery, etc...). to run the wires from the feet to the mirror, you take out the panels on top of feet, the panel that is on the side when u open the door, and the plastic on the pillar, and the plastic near the mirror. then it is easy to get to the mirror. i drilled a hole in the plastic near the mirrow to fit the LED in it. i dont have pics of the install (just have the pic of the finish result) because I didn't think of putting it up on this website.

Old 02-04-2006, 12:29 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: DIY Fake Alarm (Varad Flashing LED)

good thinkin man i like your idea...

Old 02-04-2006, 03:28 PM
HCF Member

thanks

Old 02-04-2006, 04:08 PM

Crook #1 :" man, let's go over to that LeSabre and break into it"

Crook #2 :" nawwww see that car over there with the flashing light? Let's break into it"

Crook #1 :"but that car looks like it has an alarm"

Crook #2: "I know, that means they either have a killer stereo, or other goodies inside. Besides, alarms no longer attrack anyone. We all hear them going off everday, and people no longer respond. If it does have an alarm, it will only sound for 15 sec before I cut the circuit and disable it" Besides, chances are it's one of those fake alarms, kids are buying for 10 bucks"

The point being, WHY go OUT OF YOUR WAY, to call attention to your car? If you CAN AFFORD having anything in your car that is of GREAT RISK of being stolen, then you CAN afford an alarm.

Putting a FAKE alarm flashing light in serves 2 purposes.

#1 attract a theifs attention.

#2 make other people think your car is tricked out, when it's really not.

JUST SAY NO.........

Old 02-04-2006, 04:32 PM
HCF Member

first of all, I don't need an alarm where i'm from, i just did it for the fun of it. I don't come from a big city, so there is not too much burglaries around here. I love wiring stuff in my car, so anything that comes to mind, I do it. And even if i'm a noob on this forum, doesn't mean that i'm an idiot or a little kid, so if you don't like it or don't want to put it in your car, that's fine, but you don't need to post sh*t in my topic. Why do you think they sell alarms?? Because people buy them!!! so if somebody wants to pay 10$ instead of paying 300$ for alarm and have a little more security, cause down here alarms scare thieves. so even if you see noob next to my name in this forum, don't mean i'm a noob in wiring sound systems and other sh*t in cars, so don't treat me like one. that's the problem about forums, people see how many posts you've put up in the forum, and if not much, they treat you like sh*t. Some noobs are smarter than 5th gear members.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:35 PM

There is no doubt in my mind you are able to do an A#1 job at wiring.

No doubt at all.

My point is rather clear.

If you REALLY NEED an alarm, get one.

Flashing lights, serve no purpose other then to atrract attention, from crooks and chicks.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: 05reverb

i'm a noob on this forum, doesn't mean that i'm an idiot or a little kid,

since when?

jk

Old 02-04-2006, 05:31 PM
HCF Member