Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Extra 12V Outlets???

Old 06-27-2009, 04:22 AM
Default Extra 12V Outlets???

My 08 Civic Sedan only has 1 of the 12V outlets. It's right above the little MP3 input jack. I currantly use a "Y" splitter so I can run my GPS and my Zune at the same time. I don't like how I have cords everywhere, looks cluttered. I'd like to find out if I can install another 12V outlet somewhere in the dash or under that will look somewhat OEM. Don't want it to look choppy or aftermarket. Also want to install one in the trunk cuz I wanna get a plug in auto cooler for when I hit the road on my move this fall.
Has anyone did this? Would it be bad on my electrical system to add 1 or 2 extra outlets? More worried about over running my electrical system than anything. Thanks.
PS- Also thinking of re-routing the MP3 jack to a lower area to keep all the cords out of sight. Possible?

Old 07-03-2009, 07:20 PM
HCF Member

You need to be careful about how many jacks you add. adding more accessories means you add more amps to the system. your 12v outlet is probably 10-15 amps. the auto cooler will probably add and lot of draw to the system and could blow the fuse over and over again. If you want to add a larger source of power you could run 8-10 gauge power wire directly from the battery into the car with a larger fuse for more power capability.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by 01civicsed
You need to be careful about how many jacks you add. adding more accessories means you add more amps to the system. your 12v outlet is probably 10-15 amps. the auto cooler will probably add and lot of draw to the system and could blow the fuse over and over again. If you want to add a larger source of power you could run 8-10 gauge power wire directly from the battery into the car with a larger fuse for more power capability.
Thanks! I decided not to use a car cooler and stick to my old ice one. I do have a question though. I have my GPS and my power adaper for my Zune running into a 2-way splitter that I got at Autozone. That 2-way splitter is plugged into my 12volt outlet. Is there any way to hardwire this splitter into anything? That way I can keep my OEM 12v input free.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

you can wire them together BUT this makes them together so you cannt seperate them since youll be soldering the wires together and replacing the cig lighter plugs.

but if you want to do that you can... tools ya need. a razor blade, 12V light tester, preferably solder and some heat shrink tubing. then preferably some larger wire since your power those 2 electronics for the power and ground. and you can reuse a cig lighter plug or go hidden and wire it directly into the fuse box WITH A ADDITIONAL inline fuse holder.

now if you want to go ahead. then put the units on the dash where you like them, and run the wires along the windshield as hidden as posible then find the right spot to splice the wires together at mark the wire spots with some tape then use the razor blade a few inches past those marked wires and carefully cut the outter wire wrap off and use the light tester to probe the wires with there cig lighter pluged in and getting power. then write down which wire has power and which is for ground. so you dont want to mix them up. dont just guess that the red wire is power. you never know and dont want to risk burning up your electronics your adding!
now after you know which wires are power and ground using the light tester. then unplug the cig lighter of course and then actually cut those tiny wires and strip the insulation off them and with the larger wire twist both power wires together with the larger wire then twist and solder em together solid. and then do the same to the other 2 wires. and make sure you have the right power wires together and the grounds also. now slap the heat shrink tubing on the wires to cover the soldered wires.

then just use some electrical tape to keep those 2 larger wires together in a few spots or if you want it hidden better then wrap the whole length. and depending where you want them to plug in either use the cig lighter by taking apart the cig lighter plug that you have cut off and solder the wires directly to the metal prongs inside (the center pin is the power, and outter side prong is for ground).
or if you want a hidden completly wiring then use a inline fuse holder and put the fuse on the power wire and then route the other side of the inline fuse holder to the fuse box under the dash. and again with your 12v light tester probe the fuse boxes empty male spade terinals with the car off and then ON to find the right terminal that has power with the cars ignition turned ON. and use a female spade crimp conection and plug it into the fuse box.
and the ground wire can go just about anywhere under the dash that is metal by just using a existing screw or bolt.

it sounds like alot but its really not once you start probing wires. and with the two units pluged together total up there 2 fuse sizes and put that size fuse in the fuse holder. or just slap in a small 10amp since most of those small units dont use much power.

the rest is just tucking the wires behind the dash and trim panels to get it to the fuse box.

and if you really want a cooler in the rear you can.... easiest way to do it is buy a 8gauge amplifier wiring kit and just use the power and ground wires and inline fuse.
and do the same with the wiring splicing.