Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Factory XM radio install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 07:12 AM
Default Factory XM radio install?

Hello,

I'm new to the forums; I just picked up an '07 EX this week. I've also ordered the XM radio kit from College Hills Honda and plan to install it next weekend.

I'm curious if anyone here has installed this kit themselves rather than paying Honda an absurd amount to do it? I'm pretty handy and do all my own maintenance as well as the more basic mods/repairs (intake, exhaust, lowering springs, etc.). Consequently, I'm pretty confident the install will not be a problem. However, if anyone has done this before and would care to share whether there were any unexpected difficulties, I'd really appreciate it. I've already downloaded and reviewed the instructions. They look straightforward enough but I guess you never know sometimes.

Any advice out there? And I have searched already - didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Default RE: Factory XM radio install?

I've installed a Sirius radio on my Civic. I imagine they are relativley simalar.

The instructions tell you to mount the antenna on the roof of the car. But I found that it works just as well to mount the antenna on the trunk. Then just run the wire directly into the trunk, and into the car, ect.. It makes it ALOT easier, and saves you alot of time. Just be careful, the antenna cord can me fragile, and when trying to hid it in spaces, in can break. Just take your time and play it safe.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:41 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Gonzo

I've installed a Sirius radio on my Civic. I imagine they are relativley simalar.

The instructions tell you to mount the antenna on the roof of the car. But I found that it works just as well to mount the antenna on the trunk. Then just run the wire directly into the trunk, and into the car, ect.. It makes it ALOT easier, and saves you alot of time. Just be careful, the antenna cord can me fragile, and when trying to hid it in spaces, in can break. Just take your time and play it safe.
That and water can run down the antenna cord and into your trunk.
That is why I have heard it isn't really that worth it to wire it onto the trunk.
You'll have to find some way to make that seal nice and tight.
Yes I understand that the seal on the trunk is already tight, since water is not collecting already, but now that there is that rise in the weather-stripping from the antenna cord, water has a way to get in.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:59 PM

Well I've had my cord going right into the trunk for about six months now, and not so much as a drop of water has gotten into my car.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. However, you've misunderstood my question. I'm going to install the factory Honda hardwired kit that connects directly to the back of the existing XM ready head unit and can becontrolled from the steering wheel. I'm nottalking about one of the small plug and play portables. Although I am currently using an XM ExpressEZ to get me by until I can install the hardwired kit - and the antenna is on the trunk for what it's worth.

What I'm talking about is here (third one down):

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hon...lectronics.htm

And here are the instructions:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...an/xmradio.pdf

The electronic connections and bus cable and antenna routing are all very straightforward. What I'm really looking for is advice or any difficulties anyone has had with all of the dash and trim piece removal (and reinstall) that is necessary to get behind the head unit.

Thanks again for the replies!

Old 03-23-2008, 07:39 PM

Job is now done. It was as easy as it looked,