Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Good flasher problem write up - LED turn signals, etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 06:56 PM
HCF Member
Default Good flasher problem write up - LED turn signals, etc

Well I am always in the market for new information, and recently someone sent me to the Bugman, a sportbike rider that has done some interesting mods to his bike over time.

Now I think his bike is kinda tacky with all the stuff, but he did manage to create a website with some good information.

This link provides some information on how to correct LED lighting "flash to fast" problems for those of you investigating and installing LED turn signals in your older civics. He goes into detail on a few ways to fix the problem, although you will have to adapt his work to your car.

++

In short, flash to fast problems are caused by mechanical flashers that operate on the basis of current draw. Because normal bulbs operate at a higher wattage and use more resistance then LED's, some flashers do not function correctly becasue of the lack of current draw on the circuit.

Bugman shows us how to repair the problem by replacing your flasher with a new upgraded flasher, or the resistor trick, which I use on my bike also. By placing a certain resistor in parallel of the circuit on each side where the new LED signals will be installed, you "Trick" the circuit into thinking that the normal bulbs are still installed, and therefore the signal flashes at the correct rate, around once per second.

Check it out, might find some useful stuff on his site, i did.

http://www.bugmanweb.com/gsxr/gsxrindex.html

Old 03-24-2008, 09:40 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Good flasher problem write up - LED turn signals, etc

suhweeet
thanks bro

my buddy is having this problem....
i send this page his way.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:28 AM
HCF Member

There are alot of fixes for similar problems, but ultimantely, I think the resistor trick will fix a majority of them, the trick is finding the correct resistor.

I am thinking about investing in some LED signals myself, I am really hoping this will correct any issues I run into.

In order to use LED's, you have to get some understanding on how they operate, when compared with the standard filament bulb. It's crazy how much power they "don't" use. In 10 years, everything will be LED.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:40 AM
HCF Member

http://superlumination.com/images/leds/installation.jpg

Here's a good link to the write-up I was given.

This is one option of correcting the "fast flash" problem that occurs when you swap your normal filament bulbs out for LED tower bulbs, or otherwise LED bulbs.

You can also purchase a new mechanical flasher from any autoparts store and swap it out with the factory one, to correct the problem. Mechanical flashers flash at a standard rate, no matter what load is present on the circuit, so you can add all the LED bulbs you want, and not have a fast flash issue.

Word.