Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Help with my deck!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:30 PM
HCF Member
Default Help with my deck!!

okay well my sister bought a 02 civic. It came with no deck so she bought one and i plugged the wires in and tried to see if it worked. but guess what it did not. i press the eject botton and another botton and it lits up for like 2 seconds then turns off. i bought a harness and plugged every wire needed, but in the deck instructions it says to put the ground into a metal frame in the car. which i did not do i put it into the black wire in the harness mayb thats the problem? i checked fuses. I did experiments. i unplugged the red wire and left the yellow wire on and it still did the same without the red wire! so my guess is the red wire or the ground? could some one help me please

i can upload pics and a video of it helps

Old 09-06-2010, 06:31 AM
HCF Member

usually when a radio lets you eject the cd, but does not turn on, it means that it is getting power, but the car is not on. In your case, that would mean that the red wire is not getting any power with the key on. Get a volt meter and check the power wires on the radio. The yellow and red wires must have +12V with the car on. The black wire in the harness works for ground, it is grounded to the chassis along down the harness.

Usually in a civic there are a couple of different fuses for the radio, so make sure to check all of them. also check the fuse on the radio itself.

If all else fails you can run a new wire from the ignition harness for whichever wire is not working correctly

Old 09-06-2010, 09:32 AM
HCF Member

where is the ignition harness?

Old 09-06-2010, 09:48 AM
HCF Member

under the steering column going from the key cylinder to the fuse box. The wires will probably be taped up and will be a heavier gauge wire. either 12 or 14 gauge.

12V constant - white (yellow on radio)
Accessory - white/red (red on radio)

and make sure you put an in line fuse on whatever wires you need to run. and use the correct size fuse. to be safe just use the same size fuse as the one that is plugged into the back of the radio. it will either be 10A or 15A depending on the brand. you can get fuse holders and wire at auto zone or any auto parts store for pretty cheap.

edit: and again i recommend testing the vehicle's wires with a volt meter before you just start tapping into wires. Then solder and tape up the connections

Old 09-06-2010, 06:42 PM
HCF Member

i would start with fuses, 99.9% of the time this is the case. normally if there is a factory plug, it means someone either stole or removed the radio. since it's a switched problem it will most likely be the fuse box in car.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:47 PM
HCF Member

i found out what it was, i blew the deck i tried a old deck and it worked.