Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

IAM Sound Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Default IAM Sound Upgrade

I picked up SIRIUS and iPod integration with a new Kenwood DNX-6960 HU, incl 4x50W + 3 ea. 5V pre-amp out. I'm thinking my stock '03 Civic HX (Hybrid) system is woefully underequipped for the new hardware and looking for the best upgrades to maximize utilization of the HU & expanded music selection.

My first thoughts turn to amp + sub, though this is a commuter, so I'd like to be economical with the upgrades, as well (HU cost notwithstanding). The best systems I've seen typically include dedicated tweeters mounted to the L/R A pillars around the windshield, though the '03 HX does not include an OEM location for fitment.

I'm thinking mounting IAM tweets would be cost intensive, though am unsure of the trade-off v. amp + sub. Also, not sure of the spec rating on the OEM door speakers, but I'm concerned they'll soon become the weak link with a little extra dB gain down a noisy highway. Appreciate any and all input on making the most of this system for a more enjoyable commute!

Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 PM
HCF Member

buy a 4 way amp and run it to your speakers, cut a whole for tweeters if you want them, but if youre trying to save money i see no reason to get tweeters.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:29 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Turtlegrip
buy a 4 way amp and run it to your speakers, cut a whole for tweeters if you want them, but if youre trying to save money i see no reason to get tweeters.
Because a separate tweeter sound much better than a tweeter in a coaxial speaker? One reason...

Old 04-25-2011, 04:27 PM
HCF Member

my tweeters killed my ears even with tremble at lowest settings so i never replaced them once they blew, and it still sounds great to me, even against 2 12" punchs. I was just saying they are defiantly not the top thing to worry about, i would get all my speakers amp'ed and then if i am not satisfied i would get a sub and tweeters.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:47 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Turtlegrip
my tweeters killed my ears even with tremble at lowest settings so i never replaced them once they blew, and it still sounds great to me, even against 2 12" punchs. I was just saying they are defiantly not the top thing to worry about, i would get all my speakers amp'ed and then if i am not satisfied i would get a sub and tweeters.
I don't want to sound like a *****, but that just means you had crappy tweeters. Or at least your ears thought so lol. It's all about personal preference, and you didn't like those. Definitely don't rule out all tweeters.....that's like saying you drove a Smart car and hated it so you don't want to drive cars anymore

What kind of speakers were they? So the OP has a heads up

Old 04-26-2011, 01:38 PM
HCF Member

I dont know why i am going to respond again, but...
I dont like high pitched noises, they were high quality acoustics;
"so I'd like to be economical with the upgrades" my only point was that i wouldnt go straight for tweeters when i have stock speakers and no amps, dont get mad bro.
i dont get the analogy either, not buying new tweeters for an already extensive stereo systems =/= not listening to music anymore.