Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Maybe you guys can help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Default Maybe you guys can help

Ahh.. A group of Fellow Civic fans.. Maybe one of you can help me with 2 questions. 2002 Civic - First off, I want to wire in a couple of LED lights under my dash on both sides, and hook them to a switch. Is it possible to tap into the wires running to the power plug (the almost cig lighter) on the dash and then use the same grounding point as the plug uses? I want to tap into that wire instead of re-routing it as I am using the plug as well and don't want the switch to control the plug. (Side question - Is there anything important behind that little panel to the left of the power plug in? That's where I want to put the switch.) Second question: Can I put ANYneon external lighting (ie underglow,valve cap lights,licence plate surround, etc..)on my car in Alberta? I asked a cop, and even he wasn't sure if it was allowed on the road.. I'm so confused...

Old 02-25-2007, 08:27 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Maybe you guys can help

As for question 1, wiring into the cig lighter or power supply.

I see no reason that wouldn't work, but I would make sure it's ACC power, which I am fairly sure it is. I haven't seen many lighters function unless the car is in acc or on, at least not for a few years. You could splice into that wire, or solder you up a little splice, and tape or heatshrink it off nice and clean, and use that 1 wire to run to your led's, making splices along the way, whatever you feel like doing.

I have done some questioning myself about LED's lately, so i have learned that for the most part, a small 18-16 gauge wire will be perfect for them. I am planning on using 16 gauge speaker wire to tackle most of mine. I will find a source, similar to that lighter, wire in a splice there and run it to a switch, then run the switch's output power to the led's, and have the other side of the speaker wire grounded, running along side the power, so i can ground/power each led as I place a new one.

As for question 2, the switch pannel, there should be at least 1 blank switch cap somewhere on your dash, you can pop that off and drill a small hole through it, and place a switch through the hole. They sell several easy to install led rocker switches, in just about any store now a days. They have a small round body that fits perfectly through a hole in the center of one of those caps, and then tightens to look quite clean.

As for your location, I am not honestly sure about the regulations there. However I would think if you threw a plate light or something similar on, and someone pulled you over, you could just explain to them you spoke with an officer, and he or she said they didn't think it was illegal, and or keep it to where you can easily disconnect it if needed. Sometimes, if a cop is going to write a ticket instead of give you a warning, you can offer to immediately disable the item, and they will let you off. Cut the wires, etc..

Of course that all depends on what mood that officer is in, and all that. You can't ever tell really.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Default RE: Maybe you guys can help

Thanks for the help. I do have a blank where I could put a switch - beside the power mirror controls, but my alarm light is there. I'll just pull the panel beside the outlet off and see what I can see. Something I forgot to ask though. My alternative wiring plan is to hook the switch to the interior fuse box. I noticed in my manual that the #5, 16, 21, 24, and 25 slots in the fuse box aren't used for anything. Anyone know if these are "hot", or if I would have to hook them up to the battery first?