Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Navi Systems.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 04:52 AM
HCF Member
Default Navi Systems.....

I called a circuit city and asked them how much it was to install a double din navi system in my car today and they said it would be $250. THATS INSANE!!!!!!!! They said it was because they had to install a speed sensor.... does anyone know about this sensor thing? If so, can i get it myself and just do the install? Some help please!!!!!!!!

Old 06-29-2006, 04:30 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Navi Systems.....

you don't install a speed sensor, you just tap off the vss wire of your car. Plus you have to install the GPS antenna somewhere, i put it in the driver corner dash under the windshield. it's not hard to install yourself. what kind of car do you have, and what navi did you get? if you have a 2001-2005 civic, i can tell you where the vss wire is or anything else you need to know, but if its a later model civic, i'm sure somebody on this site knows where the vss wire is too.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:34 PM
HCF Member

speed sensor is the Tach wire in the caer. Thats all, it comes on the Navi units. By the way, its not a necessary evil. Just have your gps antenna facing the sky and you will be fine. The only thing the speed sense wire is good for is like long bridges when your underneath, it will automatically take over until the antenna can see sattelites again.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:37 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: sillyredcivic

its not a necessary
mine was neccesary, it was way off before connecting that wire, and there was alot of features not running right. I have the eclipse avn-5435

Old 06-29-2006, 10:10 PM
HCF Member

00 civic... i have a Pioneer AVIC-D1 double din navigation system..... is it alright to install first to see how the system reacts though?????

Old 06-30-2006, 04:36 PM
HCF Member

i dont know where the speed sensor wire is on the 2000 civic, but yeah, you can connect it and use it without that wire, if you find that its off alot and there is a few features not running, then you will need to connect it to be accurate. i was really dissapointed with mine before connecting that wire, cause it really sucked, but once i connected that wire and the reverse wire, everything was perfect, accurate and a bunch of new features that werent there before, so you should connect it cause you won't get the complete navi thing till you do.

somebody on this site has to know where the vss wire is in a 2000 civic, and the reverse wire, you can either find it in front, or run it all the way to the back of the car and connect it to the signal wire on the reverse light (the wire that changes when you put it in reverse). my reverse light had 2 positive wires when not in reverse, then when i put it in reverse i had 1 positive and 1 negative, so i tapped the one that changed to negative.