Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need sub box to work with rear strut bar!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 12:41 AM
HCF Member
Default Need sub box to work with rear strut bar!

Just recently i purchased1 new 12" sub and an amp along with it,andiwas just wondering if anyone out there has tried making their own subwoofer box that will workwith their rear strut bar rather than taking up extra space in the trunk. It's not a big deal i just figured it would be more convenient and just want to get some ideas for where i can start.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:23 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Need sub box to work with rear strut bar!

i've got a huge 12" box placed in front of my rear strut bar, and i know what you mean my no room in the trunk, but i don't haul stuff around anyway. just get a small enclosure that is sealed that will fit your sub, the sound won't be that great, but you'll have adequate amount of space to put some junk in your trunk

Old 01-06-2007, 03:10 AM

haha you said "junk in your trunk" !!!!

Old 01-06-2007, 11:17 AM
HCF Member

Looks like me and EJ have alot in common, our strut bars blow back there, it would have been nice if they were designed a little differently, but do what you got to do with the box I say.

I still have a mega leak somewhere in my trunk, so the closer my subs get to the back wall, the higher the chance they will get soaked. I wish i could track that sucker down, its killing me.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:05 AM
HCF Member

hell, i'll get some help and try to build something that will work with the strut bar.. if it does though,it'll be like a NEW BREAKTHROUGH!! unless someone has already done it..also i heard getting plexiglass makes better quality sound for subs, but is there really that much difference?? all i have is one 12

Old 01-08-2007, 02:15 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Stumasters

Looks like me and EJ have alot in common, our strut bars blow back there, it would have been nice if they were designed a little differently, but do what you got to do with the box I say.

I still have a mega leak somewhere in my trunk, so the closer my subs get to the back wall, the higher the chance they will get soaked. I wish i could track that sucker down, its killing me.
take two people. you inside, other out side, get a hose and let water run down the back. and just watch.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

go to the DIY section and look at the trunk box remmy or forty built... its nice

Old 01-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

your leak might be comen from the rear trunk seal.... thats what my leak was.... used to leak ALOT of water in when i went thru the car wash... slaped a new seal on it and now its only a minor leak... but thats due to my sat radio antena cable... im to lazy to slap some silicone around it to seal it up.... but a new trunk seal is preaty cheap at the dealership i believe it was like 38bucks for mine...

but with the strut bar-subbox i think ya got 2 options.....
one build the box with a channel down the center from side to side so the strut bar can be fit into it and then just bolted to the strut conectors ...
you can build a channeling or even just a hole thru the box to slide the rod thru........

or if ya want to build your own its fairly easy.... just make it into a 5piece unit...
2 pieces one for each strut bracket with a hole it in to conect the next pieces
2 pieces ....more of a brace to conect the strut bracket and tie it into the boxs side and therfore the box becomes becomes the middle conector piece.... if the box is built strong enough i don tthink it would be a problem...
OR just be easy and nudge the subwoofer box onto the brace......
if ya want bass you gotta suffer space and weight... to me those are no issue

i decided not to put in my rear strut brace.... i just used my box and mounted it to the floor... should be a moderate brace...

Old 01-08-2007, 08:25 PM
HCF Member

I have siliconed the entire trunk seal underneath and on top, filled any crack and crevas that I can find, and it still leaks, pisses me off like mad.

I managed to help the right side quite a bit, but the left is still leaking, and its usualy worse when i am driving, but also bad when i am parked.

I parked it in the sun one day and got in the trunk, and looked to see for the light shining through, but i couldn't really find much. It looks as if its comming through the frame somehow, its not really leaking directly from the seal, but like its comming down from the windshield some way and riding the metal down into the trunk. I will probably spend more time this weekend checking it, I need to seal my new headlights anyway, they got some moisture in them today :-(

Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ok replace your rear trunk air flap or just seal it up if ya want.....
also check your bumper mounting plastic clips.....
mine leaks alittle from my passenger side plastic clip.....

flap on drivers side and the one plastic clip

you can see the white clip on the passenger side... you can even see the water residue thats leaking in my trunk.LOL needs either replaced or just cleaned and siliconed over them from the inside...