Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Ohms

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:08 PM
HCF Member
Default Ohms

well im not sure if this is a retarded question or not....but i dont get this audio sh!!!!t lol i got my new infinity reference 1250's installed to a profile 1000 watt 2 channel amplifier, i had circuit city people (kids) install it yesterday. The subs sound great and i love them...but the kid said he wired them up at 4 ohms which is 160 watts x 2...on the box it says i have the ability to set tham at 2 ohms which is 240 watts x 2. I asked the kid y he didnt set them up this way and he said because he didnt think the amp could handle it....now im no expert but if the manufacturer tells you what it can handle, id much rather trust that then some random 19 year old kidd from CC. My question is how can i set it up at 2 ohms??? is it a simple plug a wire out of 1 port and into another or is it some complicated thing that i cant do???? input would be apppreciated thanx

Old 12-29-2006, 11:25 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Ohms

Well, 4 ohm mono is the same as 2 ohm stereo, but it really all depends on the ohm load of your subs. Are they 4 ohm or 8 ohm?

Old 12-29-2006, 11:42 PM

One or two subs?

Old 12-30-2006, 03:46 PM
HCF Member

there are 2 of these subwoofers
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EJtxBeb...amp;I=1081250W

and here is the amp
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EJtxBeb...mp;I=489AP1000

im still convinced it can handle it no problem....is it just a plug in thing or how does the ohms work???

Old 12-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if you have those your only two wiring options are 2ohms or 8ohms...
ohm loads can easily bite you in the @ss.... and most people dont even think or know or even understand them...

if those subs are single voice coil 4ohms then they have to be wired 4ohms stereo..... via 2 speaker wires... one set to each sub..... no way around it.... your amp wont hold a 2ohm load single bridged!

Old 12-30-2006, 04:49 PM
HCF Member

cc siad that becuase profile isn't really a well knwown but from the reviews teyre good i have a 4 chanel getting hooked up right now at circuit city..u can connect it as 2 ohms easy just look in ur manual...the amp manual should have it, the subs manual should ahve it too actualllly

Old 12-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

id say take one of the two back.....lol

they should be decent BUT not to thier fullest capacity!

for those subs ya need a somewhat powerfull 2channel amplifier to put out 200-300watts at 4ohms..... and NOT BRIDGED.....

thier are some mono channel amplifiers that put out max power at 2ohms... but most are 1ohm for max power...

if the subs where single 2ohm or single 8ohm... or even dual 4ohm load it would work great with that amp....

if you wired your subs into that amp at a 2ohm load the amplifier would do 1 or both of 2 things... one IF YOUR LUCKY it would go into protection mode..... OR it would just FRY the gutts... and maybe even fry the subs also in the process...

Old 12-30-2006, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

lol well thanx 4 the replies...but no way im takin 1 back......these things hit hard as hell with whats goin to them now, they move my mirrors around like nobody's business and you cant even b in the car with a volume over 24 bcause of the bass. I was jus kinda curious to see how it would sound with more power bcause with my doors shut the whole car rattles (the trunk especially) but you cant really hear the bass if you are outside the car....and i wanna b one of those hoodlums "you can hear me before you see me...i got king kong in the trunk" the random kidd down the street has got 2 12's with an amp and his basss is the same with the doors open or shut, and mine can get 2wice as loud but as soon as those doors are shut........cant hear noothin cept my raaattling trunk....i dont get wat the problem is lol

Old 12-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well i doubt they are that loud.LOL

at least not that loud to me.... but then again im sure im loosing my hearing.LMFAO
just tryen to help ya get the most outta your setup...

if its to loud you can always adjust the bass alittle.LOL

but ill never have to much bass... no such thing

Old 12-30-2006, 07:25 PM
HCF Member

lol i agree i love bass....it really is loud though....its jus mind boggling that i cant hear it outside my car like the bums i hear a block away....mayb its cuz they have their windows open lol its too cold for that though

Quick Reply: Ohms