Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Opinions on stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:50 PM
HCF Member

ok yeah. two 12's for the type R's.

Ive never had a capacitator, and would rather not have to worry about using one haha. I think if i find the right sub amp match i shouldnt need one...
And the excelon amp is 1200W at 2 ohm, which is even more than the hifonics amp. I was thinking 1000-1100W would be good for those subs, but im the noob.
And if lowlife said 1100 at 2 ohm was a lot, then 1200 would be alotter??

And from hat ive heard and read, hifonics is a pretty good brand, but never had one personally lol. haha.
So if you suggest getting the 1200W amp, superfly, without a capacitor, then will that be fine on its own?

And i already have 4 guage wire hooked up to my current amp, and im not sure what size for the speaker wire, but im guessing it's around 10 guage.. So could I just plug and play those wires to my new amp? Or should I buy new wiring... the wiring is only a year old, bought it when i switched my system from old to new car. And that would save me some serious hassle rewiring up to the battery lol.

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:56 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by lowlife9
what are you talking about its not safe but it is safe ??????and gunz4me what are you talking about you make no sense tsunami is one of the leading wire kit companies. explain yourselves
Show me hard core, scientific proof that a capacitor actually works in an electrical system other than to suppress noise! So Tsunami has resorted to throwing in useless capacitors with their wiring kits now.... It is a shame that they have sunken so low since they are a "leading wire kit company!"

A high output alternator and better battery will outperform ANY, and I mean ANY wiring kit provided capacitor. Also, using a capacitor to fix your "dimming" issues is similar to putting a band aid on a bullet wound!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 AM
HCF Member

Haha dude you ride is gonna BUMP!!!! I have one 600 RMS sub and it's LOUD. 1100 to 1200 at this point doesn't make a whole lot of difference.....i recommend the excelon or some other just because i've never used a Hifonics, but don't really have any doubt that it won't work =]

Also, subs are cheap. Blow a sub, replace it.....amps are way more expensive, so i'd try to get amp that's a little more powerful than the subs

Yeah a capacitor takes electricity from you battery too, and it'll stop your lights from dimming......which they will.....but it won't really solve the overdrawing of power completely. Just don't run your system way loud ALL the time or you'll kill your electrical system, cause those type r's and that amp are sucking a lot of power lol!

Ya just keep the wiring you have. Haha if you can avoid rewiring then do it! Make sure you have a big enough inline fuse though!!! It's gotta be at least a 100 amp, but i'd go bigger for sure.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:20 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by gunz4me
Show me hard core, scientific proof that a capacitor actually works in an electrical system other than to suppress noise! So Tsunami has resorted to throwing in useless capacitors with their wiring kits now.... It is a shame that they have sunken so low since they are a "leading wire kit company!"

A high output alternator and better battery will outperform ANY, and I mean ANY wiring kit provided capacitor. Also, using a capacitor to fix your "dimming" issues is similar to putting a band aid on a bullet wound!
So what we can take home from that little argument is that some people like capacitators and some dont... lol

Old 03-03-2009, 01:29 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Superfly
Haha dude you ride is gonna BUMP!!!! I have one 600 RMS sub and it's LOUD. 1100 to 1200 at this point doesn't make a whole lot of difference.....i recommend the excelon or some other just because i've never used a Hifonics, but don't really have any doubt that it won't work =]

Also, subs are cheap. Blow a sub, replace it.....amps are way more expensive, so i'd try to get amp that's a little more powerful than the subs

Yeah a capacitor takes electricity from you battery too, and it'll stop your lights from dimming......which they will.....but it won't really solve the overdrawing of power completely. Just don't run your system way loud ALL the time or you'll kill your electrical system, cause those type r's and that amp are sucking a lot of power lol!

Ya just keep the wiring you have. Haha if you can avoid rewiring then do it! Make sure you have a big enough inline fuse though!!! It's gotta be at least a 100 amp, but i'd go bigger for sure.
Yes I wanna go for loud. But without cranking up all the equalizer settings so it sounds like sh*t you know? Plus I can adjust them when i dont want them.. So might as well go for loud right?

I'll definitely look into that excelon or other amps around that power range.. See what i can get for the best price
But Im pretty much sold on the type R's.
And I definitely thought that the amp should be a little bit more than the cmbined RMS W of the subs.. but not a lot, just so that you are getting the full potential...

I think I might grab a new battery soon too... The dimming is pretty bad on the system i have now, and i had battery issues where it kept dying on me in the fall.. long story lol, but yeah.. its original battery, so i figure why not right?

Thats great i can just use my own wiring makes life so much more easier and for a MUCH quicker install for me
And I have no clue what size fuse is in there now. I just tried looking for the rating, but couldnt see it on it. How can i tell what it is? Actually I think it might be too small, but I really can't remember... haha

Old 03-03-2009, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

is it a barrel fuse or maxi or what? What kind of head unit do you have? Mine's got a volume for the sub output.....Haha and a new battery sounds like a good idea lol!

Here's how i have my system tuned:

I set the bass/low on the eq for my speakers practically at zero, then adjust the gain on the amp. that way my speakers only have to handle mids and highs and won't cut out or sound like they have static in them.....and the sub is left with bass =)

Oh man i'm jealous! haha i want two type r's now =) So what kind of box are you gonna put them in? And where did you ground the amp before? Haha my amp got pissed at me the first two places i tried and wouldn't go up loud at all or wouldn't even power up!

Old 03-03-2009, 04:33 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Superfly
is it a barrel fuse or maxi or what? What kind of head unit do you have? Mine's got a volume for the sub output.....Haha and a new battery sounds like a good idea lol!

Here's how i have my system tuned:

I set the bass/low on the eq for my speakers practically at zero, then adjust the gain on the amp. that way my speakers only have to handle mids and highs and won't cut out or sound like they have static in them.....and the sub is left with bass =)

Oh man i'm jealous! haha i want two type r's now =) So what kind of box are you gonna put them in? And where did you ground the amp before? Haha my amp got pissed at me the first two places i tried and wouldn't go up loud at all or wouldn't even power up!
It's a barrel fuse.
I have a Pioneer DEH-P5900IB head unit. It's beautiful, i love it, works wonders, have had it for two years just about. But it doesnt have a "volume" for the subs, it has a similar thing to volume, but it goes from 0 to +6.
And then its got Loud settings and then all the eq settings for the speakers, which i like to set bass low as well to reduce distortion lol. unfortunately, being a weak system, and me wanting more bass, I have turned my loud on, which sounds alright until you get it cranked. Can't wait til I get my new system. I'm gonna have a good tax return too put that towards it.

I dont know what kinda box ima put them in yet. I would like a ported box though.. I dont have one now, but I think thats the way to go..?
I'll probably just buy one from futureshop or something...

I just ground my amp to the roof of my trunk... It screwed in nicely there and has stayed there. Works good for me! Thats *****ty though haha. You get that fixed now though? and what sub do you have right now?

Old 03-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Banned

heres my setup jenson flip out 7 inch touch screen i riged a switch so i can watch **** while i drive
mb quart 51/2 reference series components front with adjustable db crossovers
diamond audio 61/2 components in back till i find the same mb quarts there rare there the real mb quarts before they sold the company
2 12inch powerbass subs 1100 watt rms computer tuned box
kenwood KAC-7252 amp for subs 500 watts rms bridged
alpine MRP-F450 V-POWER amp for high and mid range 70 wattsx4
clarion tweeters all around
and of course the tsunami wire kit with 1.2 fared capacitor
im still on the same interstate battery no problem 2 years winters included i bump loud everyday.

Last edited by lowlife9; 03-05-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:54 PM
HCF Member

I've got a Sony Xplod head unit, Infinity Reference series all around...6 1/2 two way up front and 6x9 three ways in the back. i think i said this but i've got a rockford T1 hooked up to a Kenwood Excelon 2ch (hence the suggestion to get the mono block excelon!) in a ported box made for it. Haha right now my box is just kinda sliding all over so i need to either make a custom box or deal with it.......i'd like to make a custom box, but that'll have to wait for awhile.

Yeah i worked out the whole ground thing.....it's a really random spot lol but it works. I'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow

Yea definitely go with a ported box, i like them.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:27 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by lowlife9
heres my setup jenson flip out 7 inch touch screen i riged a switch so i can watch **** while i drive
I hope your kidding. LOL.

And your box fits in the trunk fine on a 7th gen? My box with two tens is kinda sketchily close to being too big for the trunk.

Quick Reply: Opinions on stereo?