Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

options...options...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 08:10 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: options...options...

What kind of load are you putting on the amp right now? 1.5 ohm?
How many amps is your amplifier trying to draw @ your current wiring configuration? It may just be that you're trying to pull way too many amps from your tiny stock Honda alt. Whatever you do, don't go waste money on a capacitor.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:30 PM

yeah i just got back and the idle was fine. still a lil low but nothing to worry about. i just wanted to make sure my girl got to school ok so shes stuck without bass till tomorrow afternoon lol. i was thinking the trunk latch bolts but im gonna have to remodel the trunk to reach any of that. as for the speakers i was aiming for something that would drop right in without having to cut anything. budget around 100. sorry i didnt mention earlier.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:32 PM

theyre at 1.5 ohm. its rated 60 amps @ 2ohm 410rms. ive done the BIG 3 , fuzes are fine all around. my girl just got back and said ther was no probs with the amp not hooked up so its a ground issue. ahhhhhh time for a remodel if it ever stops raining......
thanks for the replies

Old 09-05-2006, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: sqhertz

hey im new to this forum. signed up to help out my girl with her 2000 civic lx. as of now i got her 2 12" a-bahn alumQ's with a profile 600msx amp that i need to find a better ground for. i got it on the seat belt bolt under the seat now but the amp still gets freakishly hot and turns off. any recomendations?
The seat belt should be a good ground, I had 960 watts grounded there. The heating doesn't have anything to do with that anyways. How is the amp mounted? Vertically? Mount it with the heatsink facing up so it cools properly.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:26 PM

heat sink is up , amp is on the floor behind the box. the terminls i find arnt big enough to fit around the seat belt bolt itself but i had it on the little lip that comes off the bracket thing and it was fine before , with both of the amps. i just got done mounting the ground on the bolt below the passenger side tail light and it still drop below the first line on the tach <500rpm? the wire i used is like 3.5 feet long now cause the power wont stretch that far nor the rca's. could it be the alty going bad? maye the batt? ill take pics if needed , this ****s driving me crazy!!!

Old 09-05-2006, 09:33 PM

well it seems to be running better but the tach hit 0 when we started it up and put it into gear but it was running smoothly. the rest of the ride was fine no shakes or anything like how it was. im going to order another knukonceptz kit and move everything around.
could the ground problem made another problem more apparent , like lack of maitnance (02 sensor , plugs/wires, etc..)? would it benift from a lil seafoam? seems more a lil more hesitant now.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:17 PM
HCF Member

Your amp is a mono channel subwoofer amp, correct?
Are you running a seperate amp for each sub?
THOSE AMPS ARE NOT QUALITY AMPS. THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE A 1.5 OHM LOAD PUT ON THEM.
By doing that^, you're ruining any chance of sound quality - that's some very dirty power coming from it @ 1.5 ohm. And THAT'S WHY THEY GET HOT. Doesn't matter if you think they're good budget amps or not, they ARE NOT GOOD AMPS, and were never meant to have that kind of load put on them.
Your car probably has a ~60 amp alt. <-- That will not produce enough power for your 1.5 ohm setup on those amps.
The low idle, cutting out, lights dimming, etc. means that you need a bigger alternator.

Even when you've got a high quality Alpine amp that's rated down to 1 ohm, you should not run that kind of load on an amp. Every time you double your power, you may gain ~3db. Not worth it to stress ANY amp that much for such a small gain. It will also rape your sound quality. The bigger the load on the amp, the worse the signal to noise ratio gets.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:42 PM

i know about sq at lower ohms but my girl isnt looking to win any compititions, just a decent daily , and so far its been holding up. ive got it on that bolt now and its been fine. amps been running cooler even. low idle and everything has been fine so far. maybe a slight drop when comming to a complete stop but thats all its been reduced to. im telling you those profile amps arnt complete garbage, id put them above the pyramid/legacy type. im thinking about drilling in one of those stinger ground things. thanks for the replies though.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:13 PM
HCF Member

Sorry to sound like such a dick in the last post...
I didn't mean that the amps were complete useless garbage (I too would rate them higher than Pyramid and other complete flea market brands). But the internals of that amp will not hold up for very long with that kind of load.
Usually when it's a ground problem, there will be excessive static/noise coming from the speakers. Lights dimming is almost always a sign of the amp trying to draw more power from your alt. than is available.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:39 PM

apology accepted even though its expected on these forums with people asking the same questions over and over. i plan on buying a dmm very soon so i wont have this problem again but im sure ive got it taken care of for now. im going to deffinatly get her some new equip., as soon as i have money comming in again..