Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Help Repairing My Paintwork

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Default Help Repairing My Paintwork

Hi all, ive been reading this forum for a while now, but never needed to post anything

I have recently bought a civic coupe, which has some damage to the bumpers and generaly around and about the car, the damage which has been to the paint work looks as if it was caused by the car scraping against a wall or something similar

all the how to's i have found are on painting entire parts, and i wanted to know if it was worthwhile trying to fix these scuffs (they are quite deep) i will post pictures when i get home

Old 03-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Default RE: Help Repairing My Paintwork

Personally, if my car had any scuffs / scratches I'd get it fixed regardless. Its your pride and joy my friend. If you dont look at it and go, Ohh my god, LAME! then its not worth fixing. However, if you care what your car looks like then get it fixed. I knowI get pissed offevery timeI see this tiny shopping trolly dint in one of my doors. LAME! [:@]

Old 03-14-2007, 10:28 AM

yeh it realley ****'s me off everytime i see them, i worded it a bit badly in the first post, i was looking for some advice on how to repair it. as all the how to's i have seen are on painting whole items not just say a corner of a bumper, i wont be able to get any pics up until the weekend as its dark when i get home from work, but its preety grusome,,, in some places the pait is completly scratched off, maybe the size of large fist,,
any help would be apreciated thanx,,,

Old 03-14-2007, 12:02 PM

This is what I found in this forum. http://www.guidetodetailing.com/topics.php?topicId=17
Read everything and watch the video, and you will know how.
I'm gonna do Wash->Clay->Polish/wet sand and touch up-> Royal Blue-> Klasse AIO-> Klasse Glaze.....Now I am waiting my parts and spring break come!

Old 03-14-2007, 11:43 PM

Pop the whole pannel off, sand, fill, snad again and then prime, paint, clearcoat. Its the only way to do a good job. Any other half assed attempt will be noticable.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:45 AM

Thanx SoloC, some good info there, but not really exactly what im after as the paint im trying to repair is missing, thanx also chaos, jus to check, it would be my bumper im doing, would i have to sand down the whole bumper or would it be ok to just do the area im trying to repair, im not after a show finish or anything like that, i just want it to be less noticeable than it is now, ill get some pix up on the weekend, its liked a get poked in the eye with a cocktail stick everytime i see it, it really bugs me

also when i paint is it necessary for me to use a gun or would a can be ok, from what other people have posted they seem to have done a good job with a can

Old 03-15-2007, 11:33 PM

Personally, I would recommend sanding the whole thing back, and you can use a spray can to do it. It might be a different shade than your car but. I say do the job properly and do it once. Otherwise you are going to have to do the propper job some time later anyway.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:13 AM

thanx chaos, wasnt what i wanted to hear,, but i kinda had a feelin that was going to be the only way,,,
thanx for the help guys! ill try get some pick up when i finally get round to the job!