Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Sticks guide for detailing

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Default Sticks guide for detailing

This is my guide to make ur paint look brand new i do this once a year after teaching a few of my friends they do it before every show skipping only a few parts...

So where do i start
I. Wash your car- Itdoesn't really matter which brand of car wash, i'm fond of the NuFinish brand car wash it's rich and will easily take bugs and tar off while leaving a very nice shine. Of course you would dry it immediately after with a Chamois simple enough
II. Remove wax- Well their are a few ways to do this... Bug and Tar removerand alot of effort, pre wax cleaner or.. go to your local hardware store and pick up a bottle of MEK Methyl Ethyl Ketone it won't harm the clear coat put a little of this in a spray bottle and work in small areas buffing the wax off and continously switching sides of the rag and switching rags
III. Clay Bar- If you have never used this it's really simple spray detailer and rub clay across surface of car knead clay to show a new surface then repeat again on surface of car simple right?
IV. Sealant/Polish- Sealant is very important it fills in small areas in the clear coat as well as protecting the clear coat, a few companies such as meguiars and turtlewax sell it seperately from polish unline Mothers. Now polish is what puts makes the shine really pop no need to go into details there. I am fond of the Mothers Sealant/Polish. Really no need to go into how to do this back to front thats it.
V. Wax a few things to waxing wax in the direction paint is applied to prevent swirls... in other terms the strokes need to go from back to front of the car, this prevents swirls while laying down a nice layer of wax. Doing paint myself and noticing everyt little aspect... don't use different waxes ontop of one another they have the nasty habit of clouding one another to make ur paint not pop as much. I stick with one wax until well i do all this then i'll switch usually between Meguiars Gold, Turtle Wax Platinum, but mainly Zymol that stuff is great
VI. Detailer use a detailer before u go out and watch peoples jaws drop i use

All of this takes a whole hour and forty five minutes for me but mainly because i'm used to it

Remeber even if you don't have a ferrari it's not about what ur car is it's about how you treat it