ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Bought some ones problems B16 96 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 04:11 AM
Default RE: Bought some ones problems B16 96 Civic EX

i'de want to say abound 9-9.5:1 CR. but i could be wrong.. it wont feel super strong b/c of the lower CR. i would find a b16 head and swap it if you want to make ita true b16 b/c the b16 head flows better then the b18c1 and almost as good as the b18c5

Old 05-25-2007, 06:09 AM

I like the idea of a lower CR for a turbo app...

Old 05-25-2007, 06:54 AM

GSR head lowers the compression of the B16, but it's not really enough to make anything of. If you have a good tuner they should have absolutely no problem pushing 300-350whp out of a stock Bseries, even with the higher compression.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:04 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: silkywilson

No its simple B16A, with the numbers 550 6360 under it. problem we have now come to see is the Head B18C1 is a 97" Obd2 head.. no wonder I cant get things to run right.. Ide like to swap everything over to OBD1 (for programability) but now dont know if I can run OBD1 ECU on OBD0 motor and OBD2 head.. now im more confused realy then when I started.

there are a few things going on here, and several ways to approach this, but here's my take:

I don't know where you live, but if you want any chance of passing inspection here you would need to convert everything to OBD2. Even if this doesn't matter to you it's not that hard and it will make it much easier to sell down the road. Now obviously it does run on the stock ECU but not perfectly. You can still then get a OBD1 ecu and OBD2A-OBD1 conversion harness and have it chipped/tuned (for the other 360 days of the year).

Now I'm assuming you're getting a check engine light? you need to get it to run on a US ECU without throwing codes. whoever did the swap probably retained your stock OBD2A engine harness, but your block will have a few sensors missing. I think you have a knock sensor, if not you would need to add one. Then there is the CKF sensor which is integrated into the oil pump on USDM OBD2 cars. If you don't want to swap to a USDM oil pump you can use this neat trick to fool the ECU. http://ff-squad.com/technet/ckftrick.htm Also your car did come stock with two O2 sensors (one before the cat, one in the cat) so that wiring shouldn't be hacked up, I hope.

So the good thing about using your stock engine harness is that it is already wired for VTEC and everything, but it isn't wired for the secondary butterflies in the GSR intake manifold (also called Intake Air Bypass). I hope whoever did the swap added those wires to the harness. In addition you need to make sure your ECU has the ability to control the IAB's or you will lose power. P30 and P28 can't do that. I'd suggest picking up a OBD1 P72 ECU and getting it chipped/tuned. That's the GSR ecu so it will control VTEC and the IAB's, and it will look for the knock sensor.

and now that I think about it, that block is probably OBD1 since the OBD0 motor had a cable transmission

For your idle problems, either it needs to be set properly (700 sounds ok though), or your IACV is bad, or your IACV is wired wrong, or you have a lot of air in your coolant.

Also, here's a thing that will tell you your compression ratio. http://ff-squad.com/technet/cr-calculator.htm

that's all I can think of now off the top of my head...

Old 05-26-2007, 10:47 AM

MXS, thanks for the info, I belive the bottom end is OBD0, as the numbers on it are in the 5,XXX,XXX number sequence saying 90-91 JDM, its marked B16A not A2 or A3.. Mind you this is all just what I can find on the internet. I have a ZIF socketed P28 ECU on its way to me along with a Rywire OBD1/OBD2a jumper harness. as for the O2 sensors the manifold one was a 4 wire completely unhooked, I hooked it up and it ran no differant, the Cat one is 2 wire I belive and its spliced into the harness by the guy doing the swap. Im going to have to fix that, not sure if Ill need the second 02 sensor with a OBD1 ECU. Im planning on Swaping out the GSR intake manifold instead of screwing with that IAB, possibly Skunk2... any other or better options? there is already a skunk2 70MM TB on it. as for the cable transmission being OBD1 or OBD0 motor, the tranny is out of an integra and didnt come with the motor.. so it actualy has no relivance to the motor. Im wondering if the GSR head and tranny came from the same integra.. Mind you I was told this swap was in one running car then swaped into this car. Im assuming they didnt swap ECUs with the second swap as the P2P ECU is what should have come with chassis. thus explaining the thing running like crap. The guy at Rywire says the P2P ECU is most likly the problem with the whole thing it wasnt designed to run a OBD2 DOHC Vtec head, or the OBD0 block.. and cant even be moded to do it corectly. Now its all about finding some one to tune it in my local area.. time to start scrubbing the local car forums.