ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

How do I check if the ICM is working?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Default How do I check if the ICM is working?

My car ran perfect till yesterday it died while i was driving it and now won't start, cranks but won't fire. Can hear the fuel pump, and smell gas when i crank it. Theres no spark. brought the coil to autozone and it checked out. The rotor worked properly when i cranked it also and the points seemed fine on the cap. How could i tell if i needed a new cap and rotor? there wasn't any corrosion inside the distributor. My next thing to get checked is the ICM. How can i go about getting it checked to see if it works properly?thnx

Old 10-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The service manual does not mention a direct test for ICM function, but I believe that AutoZone will test your ICM free of charge. Remove it from the distributor and bring it to the store.

-Have you checked whether the distributor connector has battery voltage when the key is turned to ON(II)?

-Is the CEL ON?

-Have you checked whether the timing belt snapped?

Old 10-29-2008, 08:09 AM

I asked Autozone and they don't have the equipment to check it ICM. I checked and there is voltage coming from the distributor. When i turn the key to the (II) position the CEL goes on for a second or two and then goes off. The timing belt and water pump have been replaced within a year so i doubt it snapped. The ICM is connected by 2 screws i believe, one i can get at and the other one i'd have to take out the camshaft i think? I'm sorta afraid to take the distributor more apart, potenially screwing up the timing or something and making more problems? I'm lost on what to do now...

Old 10-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Call additional auto parts store about bench testing your ICM. Do you have a 96-00 Civic?

You can determine whether the timing belt snapped by removing the oil fill cap and looking under the valve cover with a flashlight to see whether the cam turns while a buddy cranks the engine.

To access the ICM, you need to remove the rotor. The diagrams may help:

Name:  picture_1573.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  picture_1574.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  43.4 KB