ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Performance chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 PM
HCF Member
Default Performance chips

hey i am currently looking into performance chips. i have never used one and not sure if they are worth it. what kind should i look for that will work gain a little more hp that is strong and affordable but wont damage or cause problems for my car it is a every day driver i have a 1998 honda civic 4 door not sure on the model type i thinks its lx but its a D16y7 its not stock i have alot of mods too many to post at the moment but is there something out there worth buying thanks for your response

Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 AM
HCF Member

you dont need a chip. wont gain you any power nor giver you any better MPG. Since your asking this question means you don't need one. Ppl who need a chipped ECU NEED one not just WANT one.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:42 AM

You can't have that many mods if you are still running on an OEM ECU. lulz

Next, do a search, either here or google or something... this has been covered like 545765896 bazillion times.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
You can't have that many mods if you are still running on an OEM ECU. lulz

Next, do a search, either here or google or something... this has been covered like 545765896 bazillion times.
yah i did my research and found nothing and i might have to ad why every time i post something you and the other guy have to be A$$ H@!* to me i am kinda sick of it. i was just wondering about irf they are worth it cause one of the shops i go to had them on sale

Old 01-10-2011, 07:56 AM

Why do you take my posts as *******-ish? I am not saying anything about you, I am suggesting that you search a little bit. Remember, these cars have been around for at least 11 years, so almost everything has been covered and most likely documented somewhere on the interwebz.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&b...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&b...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

All within 2 minutes......

Also, we have a sticky on chipping ECUs in the appropriate section:

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=28997

You can convert to a P28 (92-95 Civic EX/SI), with an OBD2a-OBD1 harness, and be able to chip the P28. At that point, you can go with an actual tuning software such as Hondata, Chrome, ECTune, and a bunch of others.

What kind of mods are installed on the car? If there are just simple bolts on, I doubt spending the money on an ECU and tune would be worth it IMO. If there is more on the car (i.e camshaft/internals, or some sort of forced induction), then I would highly recommend converting and going that route. If you convert to OBD1, you may have some emissions issue when it comes time for inspection though....

Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 AM
HCF Member

yah i cany open those links or do much searching i use my work computer and most stuff is locked i had a really hard time finding a way to use this forum so i cant research and
and most of the stuff on my car is bolt on but i am thinking about putting a new cam or possible turbo but not sure yet still looking into it

Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 AM
HCF Member

^
Then get the cams and everything your gonna do and then tune it.
search this forum, pretty sure there is a few threads on "performance chips"
GL

Old 01-10-2011, 08:11 AM

Got it. Well, we are not aware of you being on a work PC and not being able to search etc.

I would figure out how much money you want to spend on this car, how much power you eventually want to make in the end, and go from there.

You say you have a shop near you who is selling them? Do they have a name for the chip they are selling?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 AM
HCF Member

we aren’t being a-holes just telling you how it is. If you take it as use being a-holes then well...sorry that's how you feel. But like said it’s been a topic that on ANY honda forum has been talked about 541351465 times. If you have to ask if you need/want a chip then...no you don't need one simple as that. You will know when you needed a chipped and tuned ECU when the time comes. It's like buying a baby $100 running shoes when the baby can't even walk yet. A shop will try and sell you ANYTHING b/c it turns a profit and moves product out of the shop. When you start to change the physics to you engine (cam(s)/pistons ect.) then that’s when you would look into chipping a ecu and getting it street tune or dyno tuned.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:42 AM
HCF Member

well yah my fault that i didnt put that i only use my work computer. but to anwser the question how much i am planning on spending . well my buget in about 2500 right now i am just buying stuff as i go then when i have what i need i will install it of have it installed but why i ask is this is the first project honda i am bulding and i think i got a good deal on the car and all the stuff thats been done to it. but i want to make it faster for when i go to the race ways but i dont want to do a motor swap i like the D16y7 so i am sorry if i took how some of the anwser i have been given the wrong way. and with useing the computer at work and being on the forum i get stressed from work

Quick Reply: Performance chips