ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Performance chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 AM
HCF Member

I would just take the 2500 and turbo the stock engine and call it a day.

I personally don't see potential with D or even most B series engines. But that's just me I like the big boy honda engines that don’t have tooth picks for piston rods...and that I don't have to dump crazy amount of money into the car just to be as fast as a stock prelude.
My next suggestion was to swap for a engine that has some *****...but I see you don't want to swap the d series out.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:58 AM
HCF Member

well i had a H22 from in my old prelude and it was fast but had too many problems the h22 is a headeak motor from my what i have delt with and many of hy friends have the same issue so if i was going to swap motors it wont be a H22 plus itsfrom what i have heard its not so good for turboing any twin cam motor correct me if i am wrong but isnt it better to turbo a single cam motor?

Old 01-10-2011, 01:46 PM

Not at all. The B series motors are fine to boost (except the B20). The H22/H23 can be turbo'd of course, but it is not as ideal since the sleeves are thinner. Same with the B20. A B20 is essentially a bored out B18, thus thinner cylinder walls.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:29 PM
HCF Member

well my motor is still good and strong with low miles so i might do a swap if is kill my d16y7 off

Old 01-10-2011, 02:42 PM
HCF Member

h22 don't have thin cyl walls. They have the FRM walls you can only run OEM pistons or Mahle pistons on the walls. They are actually very strong cyl walls and very light. You don’t want to turbo a h22 b/c of the c/r you need a mad good tune and or race gas for pre-detonation reasons so you engine don't blow up.
Never heard of the head gasket issue with a h22. I have owned several of them NEVER once hade HG issue. Only use OEM HG...maybe that was your friends issues not sure tho since I don't know them.
Turbo on a DOHC engine is the shizzzz. DOHC vtec + boost = killer power!
H22's have a good bit of meat on the cyl walls..a good bit. So the thin cyl wall stuff is very wrong..sorry.
You can boost on thin cyl walls just depends on how thin.
The SOHC vs. DOHC boost thing is a pure personal choice. Most ppl will boost the single slammers b/c they don't want to swap the engine out. Ton's of ppl boost f22a engines b/c the head flows awesome b/c how the head is designed. The valve angle is perfect for good head flow.

Now if you want a rare swap that will make some good power...I would swap for a f22a engine. Yes stock doesn’t make much power. But they have ton's of potential. You can use OEM parts and make around 180hp with a good bit of tq. More tq than ANY b or d series engine will make even built.

f22a block
f22a6 head
h23 runners with h22 plenum and TB
f22a4 header
full 2.25 MANDREL bent exhaust
street or dyno tune

chipped p28/p72 ecu

you will be in the 170-180ish hp rage with killer tq. Then for the track or when want to race or w/e add a 100 shot of spray. If you blow the block they are a dime a dozen (100shot on this set up will be fine all day long)
That's just what I would do if I had a civic. I mean 2500bucks for this swa would be a good choice...you might even have money left over to other power adders for the engine. And talk about sleeper..Iv seen a few civics with f22 set ups...rape B series ALL DAY LONG. Don't 4get about good MPG too since your civic is close to 1000lbs lighter than accords.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:01 PM
HCF Member

yah makes sense i would consider getting a F22 but were would i find one what car did they come in ... i probally try to find one and do it up the do a swap when i have time and more money cause right now my civic is my daily driver and i cant swap a motor till i have a 3rd car lol but thanks for the info sorry about calling you an A$$ H*!# earlyer

Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 PM
HCF Member

f22a engines come out f 90-93 accords. you can find f22bx too they come out of 94-97 accords. Can snag one from the pick n pull or junk yard for like 100bucks.
I know how it is about the DD thing. But if you buy all the parts engine ect. this can be done in a weekend. It's the same as a h22 swap just you don't have to wire vtec.
lol the @$$ hole thing...no biggie..I am a @$$ hole..I'm just firm sometimes when I post. Don't take it to heart..that just how I am. I only post info I know is true. I won't ever post false info. not many ppl can't deal with my @$$ hole-ish ways.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:42 PM
HCF Member

lol you know i have a buddy with a 92 honda accorrd parts car so i will just grab that up from him asap so i will need to motor and the wiring harness and motor mounts is there any thing else i am forgetting . and as for your A$$ Hole-ish ways we need more people like that in the world cause there are so many people out there giving falts info like the shop that was trying to sell me a chip for my car . i just wish people could be straight up about everything so kudos to you man thanxs for the info i am going to do the swap and i will take pics and do a nice write up when i do it

Old 01-10-2011, 06:09 PM
HCF Member

check explicitspeedperformance.net/ESPHAMMK.html
for your mounts. should be under 300bucks.
look up h22 swaps for your gen civic it will be pretty much the same.
But as much as I can remember at this point in time.
axles
ecu
wiring harness
mounts
prob. shift linkage
f or h series transmission (h series trans have shorter gears and great for racing)
that’s all I can think of right now....but like I said do some research on h22 swaps it's the same thing.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:53 AM
July 2010 ROTM

i know im late to this thread, but i wouldnt take an h series over a d series. **** sleeves, **** weight distribution. try putting an h in a civic. enjoy having all the weight IN FRONT of the front wheels. If u only want to drag race, that might be fine. i like to corner. i have an issue of project car that has a stock b20b taking 18psi (the worst b series to boost by far). try that with fiber reinforced metal sleeves. b20s dont have weak sleeves. its the way the sleeves are attached to the bottom of the block that causes the problem. the rod will fail before the sleeve itself fails. anywho, do what u will. just my 2 cents. and as for the "big boy" honda engines comment, please... thats absurd.

Last edited by MBrent; 01-11-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Performance chips