ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Performance chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:56 AM
HCF Member

the weight issue isn't all that big of a deal. h22 engine is only 50lbs heavier than a b18. So it's really not that much more weight. I would take the extra weight for the more tq. and hp any day of the week. Yes you can run a high amount of pressure on a FRM sleeves...you just don't see it b/c you have to swap out pistons. At that point most h22 guys just get the block sleeved.
The sleeves are strong...very strong. BMW's Porsche Toyota are just a few that use the same type of sleeves in there performance engines.

LOL you don't like my big boy honda comment..bwahahaha. It's true tho. f20s/f22/f23/h22/h23/k20/k24 are the big boy engines of the honda world Them make good power with great tq. I'm sorry but to me d/b series engines are meant for go carts.

Last edited by flcb7; 01-14-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:59 AM
July 2010 ROTM

Originally Posted by flcb7
Yes you can run a high amount of pressure on a FRM sleeves...you just don't see it b/c you have to swap out pistons. At that point most h22 guys just get the block sleeved.
The sleeves are strong...very strong. BMW's Porsche Toyota are just a few that use the same type of sleeves in there performance engines.
if these are the sleeves that jesus has in his h22, why go to all the trouble of changing them? there is no way that frm sleeves have a higher tensile strength than the ones in my b16. you also didnt say anything about the goofy placement of the engine in a civic. if drag racing was all that mattered, placement wouldnt be such an issue. cornering is diminished with such an awful weight bias. fifty pounds is a big deal when we live in the world of 2000lb cars. i know h guys that live in north alabama, they think there is no alternative to one.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:09 AM
HCF Member

you either have to run mahle pistons or sleeve a h22 if you want to run a good amount of boost. Something around the 6-8pis range will be fine but h22's have such high c/r that pre-detonation comes into play. So you have the option to go mahle pistons or go forged pistons and sleeve the block with iron.
Yeah if your trying to take corners at high speeds then the weight will be somewhat of a issue. Most ppl who want to swap a h in a civic don';t auto cross...I mean why auto cross with a fwd to start with?
But the OP isn't going to be using a h22 block going with a f22. which has really strong OEM sleeves.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by flcb7
the weight issue isn't all that big of a deal. h22 engine is only 50lbs heavier than a b18. So it's really not that much more weight.

weight is a big issue with a 4 cyl, i know you can feel a big difference from just you driving then you and a passenger.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:13 AM
HCF Member

my boy had a hatch and a ej8 coupe. Really never felt the diff. from the h22 swap. Felt much more responsive getting out of corners tho...guess that is the nice tq. that the "big boy" honda engines have

But like I said..most ppl who do this swap is more for racing and DD...not auto cross.

*edit* also if weight is SUCH a issue get stiffer from suspension and a good traction bar solve that prob.
I mean it's not like you are taking the weight of a FWD v8 and slamming it into a civic engine bay...I mean come on maybe 75-100lbs (just throwing a number out there since I don't know how mucha d serie engine weigh) difference from a tq-less and powerless D series engine. Take the power and add the LITTLE bit of weight. There is always give and take in the race world...Can't have everything 100% perfect...especially with a honda lol
I mean don’t get me wrong I get the weight issue thing…BUT it’s nothing to be really all that worried about. Ppl run h and k civics all day every day. So I really wouldn’t worry about it. UNLESS it’s a full out drag/race car. Then yes everything needed to be 100% precise

Last edited by flcb7; 01-15-2011 at 11:20 AM.