EG Swaps 1992-1995 Civics

engine differences

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Default engine differences

i have a 92 civic stick with a 16 non vtech in it. are my parts swappable with a vtech? and would a vtech drop easily into where a non vtech once was?
ANY INPUT/KNOWLEDGE WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL!!
ive tried to look it up online and didnt understand it. im a very hands on person more than just reading about it.

ive been hunting for 2 yrs now for my same civic with same engine and no luck. everything is vtech. i have alot of new parts on my non vtech, are parts interchangable?

i dont know much. and my poor honda truely isnt worth fixing.
the engine overheats. new radiator distributor cap plugs starter alternator. couldnt find a reason why it overheated. was told the gaskets are gone, mixing coolent and oil. no one wants to work on it for less that 1500$ and car isnt really worth it. but if i can get another civic with a vtech and be able to swap all these brand new parts over i will. i LOVE my civic and dont want to own anything else

Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 AM

are you talking about b series or d series? but either way it depends. usually the bottom end in the same series can be interchangable. its the vtec head you cant change. its a complete different setup inside the head between the size of the lobs on the cams to the springs and valves. your best bet is to buy a head for one. it its a d series engine id go with a y8 head there pretty cheap. if its b series i would search around but its a little more pircey. for your overheating problem i would def bet its your headgasket. which if your switching out heads you need to replace it anyway. im sure it will solve your problems

ps. i dont know if you would need a new ecu or not. im thinking you will but dont quote me on that. hope this helps a little

Old 03-24-2010, 08:02 AM
HCF Member

^ as he said, you'll have to switch over the whole head to a VTEC one (not vtech), it's called a mini-me swap, google those terms. and yes you'll need a p28 ecu