Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

engine differences

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Default engine differences

i have a 92 civic stick with a 16 non vtech in it. are my parts swappable with a vtech? and would a vtech drop easily into where a non vtech once was?
ANY INPUT/KNOWLEDGE WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL!!
ive tried to look it up online and didnt understand it. im a very hands on person more than just reading about it.

ive been hunting for 2 yrs now for my same civic with same engine and no luck. everything is vtech. i have alot of new parts on my non vtech, are parts interchangable?

i dont know much. and my poor honda truely isnt worth fixing.
the engine overheats. new radiator distributor cap plugs starter alternator. couldnt find a reason why it overheated. was told the gaskets are gone, mixing coolent and oil. no one wants to work on it for less that 1500$ and car isnt really worth it. but if i can get another civic with a vtech and be able to swap all these brand new parts over i will. i LOVE my civic and dont want to own anything else

Old 03-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Chubby Chaser

#1. its vtec not vtech,
#2. vtech makes cordless house phones
#3. yes a vtec engine, any ""D"" series example d15b7,d16z6,d16y8,d16y7 and so on will fit right into your civic, a d16z6 would be a nice engine to put into your civic and its a vtec engine, also get the ecu, there is a sticker on the side of the ecu and the second set of digits should say p28, then you just swap engine in and plug new ecu up, then for vtec to work you need to run 2 wires from the ecu to the vtec solnoid and vtec oil sensor. i have a diagram to show you how to. get the engine then let us know what engine your putting in.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:02 AM

starter, alternator, and radiator can be re-used with the new engine if you get a D16Z6 (and some others... alternator won't work with D16Y_ engines though). But if you had oil in your coolant I would not recommend reusing the radiator, unless you are somehow able to flush it out perfectly.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Super Cereal Admin

If oil and coolant were mixing (there'd be gunk on the radiator cap, the oil cap, or both), you have a blown head gasket. It doesn't cost much to fix by yourself (a few hundred at most) and is relatively easy; you don't even have to pull the engine.

Other causes of overheating could be:

-low coolant
-no coolant
-bad thermostat
-bad ECT sensor
-blockage somewhere in a coolant hose/line/pathway

But a SOHC vtec engine will literally bolt right in, using your same transmission and mounts. At the same time, the greater majority of parts are interchangeable from D-series engine to D-series engine.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Chubby Chaser

where do you live???? im pretty sure there is someone one here that may be able to help ya out.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:33 AM

thank you for all your input!
i have NO idea what engine it is, refering to ' d15b7,d16z6,d16y8,d16y7 ' and so forth. dont even know how to find that out?
i had a friend try to change the head and valve gaskets out. but they said the engine would have to be half lifted out and they wernt able to do that. and when trying to take the bolts out they snapped two of them.
i decided to get another civic. one im looking at, listing says ES on the listing but i believe they ment the EX. its a 92, has power windows and sunroof. the original engine had a blown gasket so they replaced it with an engine from another civic. its a SOHC VTEC (got it right this time lol) open head(?). says the ECU needs to be plugged in i believe...or needs a plug to get plugged it... power steering belt. not sure on the whole ECU part...what info i need to order the part i need or what its gunna cost?
i believe my original engine is the DOHC 16 valve other than that i dont know... its a nice day out today and im going to try and clean all the lines to the radiator. being that i just thought about that the other day. i dont remember white smoke coming from the tail, just overheating. had opened the radiator one day and cold water splashed all over my face.

Last edited by gliaZeD; 03-24-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
where do you live???? im pretty sure there is someone one here that may be able to help ya out.
i live on the very end of long island ny. OUT there lol

Old 03-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Chubby Chaser

take pics of your motors you mention and i can tell you what motors you have or you can look here. and tell us

Name:  motorcode.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  47.7 KB