EG Swaps 1992-1995 Civics

GSR BUILD UP

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 04:30 AM
Default GSR BUILD UP

OK So my friend is willing to sell his USDM 1994 Acura Integra GSR block, head, distributor, intake manifold...basically everything besides the wiring harness, tranny, shift linkage, alternator and starter for about $500. The only catch is that it has been raced and has seen NOS on the engine and it burns oil like crazy not to mention you can't feel the VTEC nor can you feel it pick up. I live in CA so I wanted to drop the engine in a 1994 Honda Civic EX, but before that I wanted to build it, but keeping in mind that I want it to be SMOG LEGAL so making drastic changes is out of the question. How would you proceed this problem? Is changeing the compression ration or anything else to aftermarket parts make it impossible to be SMOG LEGAL? How about if I used aftermarket parts, but keep the same specifications of the engine? And finally what would I have to change (pistons, piston rings, retainers, etc..) to get this engine up and about? I am willing to spend about $2,000 in parts so any brands that you think are loyal let me know. Thanks!!!

P.S. I live in the Monterey County so any performance shops you can refer me too that would be cool. Also let me know if it is to much of a hassle to build it up...or if I could go some other route...thanks...also people have mentioned that as long as I keep all sensors and wiring legit that it shouldn't matter if my engine is built for performance/boost! So when I go to the REF in CA and they tell me that I have to high of a HC(?) what is the factor in that?

Marcos

Old 08-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Default RE: GSR BUILD UP

You won't be able to build this motor for 2k.... unless you cheat.

You can use your stock crank and connecting rods provided they are in good condition. (if you take the motor apart be sure to keep the right end caps with the right rods as they're all different)

You'll probably WANT to have the block magnafluxed to be sure theres no hairline cracks in it, if there is... you're going shopping for a new block.

If the block is ok, you'll want to bore and resleeve the block to stock bore (81mm) because of the nitrous use, just so you know the sleeves are in good shape. Then you'll want to head over to www.importbuilders.com and ask Jeff for some stock bore 94 GSR pistons and a set of rings. Next you'll need to find a wiring harness, any hydro B series tranny (unless you want to spend more on a hydro -> cable conversion kit), shift linkage (which should come with the tranny), & then you'll need a B series alternator and starter (rebuild shops have them fairly cheap).

Plop that in the car, get a GSR cat and a 2 1/4 catbck exhaust and I'm fairly sure after the motor is tuned right it'll pass the BAR.