EK Swaps 1996-2000 Civics

engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 03:51 AM
Default engine swap

Hello everyone im new to the forum and i could use as much help as possible. Right now i have a 94 mitsu 3kgt however my first car was an accord and im looking to get a civic. Im lookin at the 96-00 bodystyle and swapping out the engine to either an integra gsr or ls engine(i have heard that the ls has a stronger block than the gsr). i also want to run it with forged internals, hardened block, turbo, spray, and hopefully if its possible to run it with a 6 speed tranny. Do you think this project is possible? anything i should know before i undertake? any general input you have? anything you have would be great?

Old 12-29-2005, 08:19 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: engine swap

Welcome.

i have heard that the ls has a stronger block than the gsr
not true at all. peopel think this because you can put more boost into an LS motor, but thats just because of the lower compression. a gsr with a safe boost level will make more power than an Ls with a slightly higher safe boost level. the Gsr motor comes from the factory zero-balanced and has piston oil squirters and a big beefy main girdle to brace the lower end. if youre going to sleeve it for a monster turbo though, it probably doesnt matter which you go with, since you can pretty much get rid of the weak points of the Ls block. but the gsr is a better platform to start with, but also costs more initially as well.

sounds like youve got a plan, but youve also got your work cut out for you. good luck, and let us know if we can help with anything.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:46 PM

Thanx for the input. this is kinda comin outta nowhere but since the rsx-s has a 6 speed tranny, would i be able to bolt it onto the gsr engine? and how strong is it? what would i need to upgrade? i havent done any research on it, its just an idea i had.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:30 PM

you cant take other parts from other engine series a rsx 6spd will only work with k series moters, while a b series gsr, ls will only work with a 5 spd from another b series. you could get a very expensive six speed for a lot of money but 1 more gear isn't worth more than your car