EK Swaps 1996-2000 Civics

I am torn!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Default I am torn!

Hey everyone, I am new to the forums and after a long time saving up, a new civic owner.

I bought a 97 ex with a stock y8, body is in great condition already so all i need now is speed.

I want to do a b series swap, but i am torn between a few. I could do b16/gsr/b20/lsv. I just dont know which direction to go in.

Basically, I am asking what the pro's and con's are to each swap. Price, power, whether or not to boost, reliability, etc.

As much as I would love to have boost, lately, ive been thinking all-motor is the way to go, simply because i need the reliability of a long term daily driver. But I do want a fun daily driver that can still take your average civic on the street.

Anyway, i am need of some advice from a more knowledgeable source.

Thanks for your time guys

Old 11-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Hearing good things about H22's as well? Im not sure of the price, but an all motor 2.2l sounds pretty good!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:27 PM
The Man

okay people are going to give you crap for this post...because they will say do your research.... all of those are money money, i say there isnt a swap worth doing unless its k series!!!

so as of right now, build your y8. you drive a civic not an sti. not a gti not a mustang.
all i am saying is, they arent built for speed, they are build for economy.

so unless you have a few grand saved up and alot of time and "know how" a swap wont happen, just honnest...
i say
do a B18C1 (gsr) build the engine. type R pistons. skunk2 cams. port and polish the head and intake manifold. aem fuel rail. cool air intake, and a nice header and a simple tune and call it a day...
=)

Old 11-02-2011, 06:12 AM

^lol, it seems as if you tell him to keep the D series, but then tell him to build a B series and install that.

OP, I wont go into listing pros and cons of each motor, but with less experience I would want to suggest either a B16, or a GSR (B18c1) motor for you.

Just make sure you do all the research you possibly can before buying anything.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 AM
HCF Member

one of my favorite motor combos is a b18 with a b16a head.

while i completly understand what you're saying about reliability, there are tons of auto manufactors that use boost and have great reliability. its build a smart, well put together boost set up.
however for a much cheaper d.d., a high revving engine like a b series would be fun, just not nearly as much fun as a buttload of low end torque ready to slam your neck back.
how much swap experience do you have, is another question to ask yourself. what kind of ecu will you be using? which trans?

i love frankenstein swaps, ls-vtec, b20 with b18 or b16 head, k24 with a k20 head, the f22/f23 with an h22 head is about as rad as it gets when is comes to frankenstein swaps. much more difficult and it requires a few things to be custom fabbed, but if you slap a set of k20 pistons in it, you will smoke any n/a k series around.

it all comes down to $$, time spent building, and your experience!

figure out what you want your motor to do before you decide which motor you want and what you want that motor to do. pick the motor that fits your style. high revving- b series. low end torque-h22. high revving with lots of torque- k or g series.
it costs dough to go! lol