Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

'97 EX with Turbo B18C1, strange clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:51 PM
HCF Member
Default '97 EX with Turbo B18C1, strange clutch issues

Engine has 97,000 miles. 260hp/178ft-lb. The current clutch got put in in Fall 2009 by the shop I go to, and has about 5,000 miles on it. It's an ACT AI4-HDG6, which I hear are basically bulletproof. Had the flywheel machined obviously, when they put the new clutch in.

When I start the car and get into 1st gear, I hear a loud squeaking noise as I let the clutch pedal back up and 1st gear engages. Sometimes it happens with 2nd gear too. This happens in cold and warm weather and seems to go away after a bit. I'm not sure if this is relevant to what I'm about to describe or not.

Mainly my problem is this. The clutch works great- WHEN it works. Which is 95+ % of the time. But SOMEtimes, I'll start the car and will be absolutely unable to get it into gear. Had the master cylinder replaced recently, and the clutch pedal still has the regular amount of pressure when I put my foot on it. I just... can't move the shifter into any gear position. The only way to get moving is by shutting the engine off, pushing it into 1st gear, and starting the engine with the clutch pedal pushed all the way to the floor to hopefully avoid some lurching, which is inevitable. If I time it just right, sometimes I can shift into 2nd gear then up, but it's not at all smooth and doesn't feel right. I've brought it to the shop that installed the clutch twice now and by the time the car gets towed there or gets awkwardly driven there, they don't see the problem, and the car gets into gear just fine.

What could it be? When it works, it works just great, but with the squeaking noise. Not sure if it's a belt or the throw-out bearing or what. Maybe one of my forks is bent, or a spring isn't seated right? I'm not sure what could be binding up, but there's no way the clutch is worn out, with this few miles on it and no racing. Plus, when the clutch works, it works fine. No slipping, and I can get going from a stop in pretty much any gear if I absolutely had to (not that that's good to do but I understand on a busted clutch you can't do that).

Ideas, guys? Thanks in advance for suggestions or info!

Old 09-12-2010, 01:23 PM
HCF Member

sounds like maybe your throw out bearing might have issues.. defective, or bad mount, or simply they forgot to repack it